Photography Practice

Kilroy

Great work Andy, I've watched the video twice now and still am shocked with how much work you put into it. I know for you it was probably nothing but that whole program is something I've never seen or much less played with and looks overwhelming.

Great work Andy, I've watched the video twice now and still am shocked with how much work you put into it. I know for you it was probably nothing but that whole program is something I've never seen or much less played with and looks overwhelming.

If you look at the history on the left through the video, you can see when I change tools, add strokes, etc.... The basic thing for your pic, was to adjust the exposure of the background so that could blow it out (overexpose) to create the white, and hide the texture.. Beyond that it was all about bringing out features in the rifle ... If you look at edits in 15 second increments, you won't notice a big change, but if you toggle the before and after, you can see how things are developing.. In general there aren't any tools that will magically fix your images - to take good gun image, involves a decent amount of time setting up the shot (getting rid of extra crap before you even take the shot, adjusting the angles, lights, etc)... Your edit was 10 minutes - I have often spent 10-45 minutes on editing a product shot, and 30-60 minutes to edit a model.... The trick is to just get the tools, and start playing with them - there is no magic bullet to photography / editing.

• 1 month later...

Still no photo editing... This is the 'raw' shot.

World War I M1903 Warner Swasey sniper rifle.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa54/RedSpecialSS/photography/IMG_6495_zpslkywa73q.jpg

F-Stop - f/5.6

Exposure - 1 seconds

Exposure bias: +.07

ISO - 200

Edited by Kilroy

Here's the same but different shot. I used a piece a poster board to diffuse(?) the lighting. I took this at the same time as the shot above but to me this shot looks washed out and I think needs a little less exposure. Though, I do like how the shadows are gone in this picture.

zW7A9Ta.jpg

F-Stop - f/5.6

Exposure - 2 seconds

Exposure bias: +.07

ISO - 200

Edited by Kilroy

I don't have any real photo editing software on my computer but I did this with my phone. I think I like this better.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa54/RedSpecialSS/762F3F85-E8C9-4C46-94B3-4CE3416FAA0B_zpsrp2hirln.jpg

I use a program called Paint.net it's free and does a decent job of adjusting photo's and the price is right!!

• 3 months later...

Early Inland M1A1. Has all the early features, high wood paratrooper stock etc. six digit serial. I like it because it is similar to what my uncle would've jumped into Normandy with as a radioman in the 101st Airborne Signal Company.

PUbgZRn.jpg

F-Stop - f/8

Exposure - 1.6 seconds

Exposure bias: +1.3

ISO - 400

Edited by Kilroy
  • Upvote 2

I do not have a Mac.... I do have an iPad?

I think my camera came with a photoshop but I feel that it is probably an evaluation version. That and every time I look at photoshop on someone else's computer I get a head ache, scared and confused and end up in the fetal position on the floor. I do not like that program I do not like it at all.

The USMC bring back Irwin-Pedersen

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa54/RedSpecialSS/IP%20carbine/IMG_6985_zps0yhkqfze.jpg

Kilroy,

I really like this one. Have you ever posted about the IP Carbine in the Carbine forum?

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa54/RedSpecialSS/IP%20carbine/IMG_6985_zps0yhkqfze.jpg

Kilroy,

I really like this one. Have you ever posted about the IP Carbine in the Carbine forum?

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I should have checked the Carbine forum first...I see now that you posted many photos there of this IP Carbine. Sorry...just catching up on things after a trip to TX.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

How about when you post a photo on here, post the camera settings to help others know where to start with the settings on their camera.

Like this:

F-Stop - f/5.6

Exposure - 1/100

ISO - 5000

IMG_0367.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This shot I took today with my phone after about one minute of set up time... Someone wanted to see pictures for "Trench Gun Tuesday", so this was my contribution. For as little effort as I put into this, I love the shot.

SdSG5zF.jpg

Edited by Kilroy
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

I have been selling off many handguns that I bought as an investment. Since better pictures on gun auctions draw higher prices, I did lots of experimenting, cameras, light boxes, studio lights,backgrounds, etc. I settled on studio lights pointing at a white background. The studio lights are loaded with daylight bulbs and they are enclosed in a tent for light diffusion. My camera Sony RX 100 II. It has loads of capabilities.I love the Preview feature!

I edit nothing, no photoshop,no cropping, I post direct to a hosting service.

The single most important component is light. Who would want to buy a gun on auction with dark pics? Thats when you get burned!!

I shoot manual mode usually 1/80th to 100th speed, f stop of F8, iso is 1600 . I know you guys will say too high on ISO, but my pics are

good.

jEf6ii.jpg
SoFwxX.jpg
Rqkz4K.jpg
71LFeA.jpg
9t4gwM.jpg
7Oigkk.jpg
KVMoYM.jpg
YfyC7e.jpg
Edited by Grease Gunner

This shot I took today with my phone after about one minute of set up time... Someone wanted to see pictures for "Trench Gun Tuesday", so this was my contribution. For as little effort as I put into this, I love the shot.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa54/RedSpecialSS/image_zpsmszwg5pl.jpeg

Kilroy, you have shown 100% improvement over some of the darker pictures that you originally posted. You have the hang of it now and found that the secret is in the lighting. I have friends who get outstanding pics but they use natural light when its late afternoon and a little overcast. I dont have the luxury of doing that since if I laid out any guns in the late afternoon outside, the blue lights would be comin for me!!!

Edited by Haris357

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

F-Stop - f/5.6

Exposure - 1/13

ISO - 400

Same rifle, I took the picture but had a friend edit it. Hopefully soon, the rifle and it's story will be featured in a book, "Veteran Bring Backs" by Edward Tinker

aON57j7.jpg

Edited by Kilroy
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I like it a lot! I've always thought it would be nice if everyone could submit their best pictures of Ww2 firearms for selection and make a 2018 MGB calendar. I would buy one for sure.

Andrew