R5 Ghome & Rhone - The French Sten

Only a few 3008s are in the US registry and in many, many years of collecting, trading in MGs and smithing MGs, I've never run across any French or Belgian Stens. There may be one or two or more and at some point they would have become known, but so far they remain invisible.

French SMGs of any era are extremely scarce in the NFRTR, unfortunately, and they made some very unusual and interesting designs. In my experience, a few, original French SMGs registered in the US came from Vietnam in the late 1960s and were registered prior to or in the '68 Amnesty, and then there are some remanufactured SMGs like the MAT49s. The French left a lot of small arms in Vietnam and regions during their colonial efforts. I was lucky to acquire a French Hotchkiss "Universal" SMG registered by an airforce B52 mechanic who brought it back in '68.
I hope your efforts will be rewarded.

• Upvote 1

Yes I live in Europe different rules here - so hopeful one pops up - but I have time -

Belgium stens are equally rare - to be honest - but have been fortunate - MP3008 is currently out of my league - but never say never

Europe a PPsh41 sells for 8-900 USD fully auto for example

• 1 month later...

There are also the Danish, Norwegian and Polish Stens. In Norway, about 800 were made by Millorg, and estimated 10 - 20 by the communist resistance group ( Faugli Sten ). The last one had to use a smaller diameter tube, because Millorg had bought all available tube in the right size, the story tells. I think there were 3 different models made by 3 different groups in Denmark.

Well, keep us apprised of your search. I learned a new thing today, since I was not aware the French made them during the war. I was aware the British Dropped a lot of then into France in the war, but not that the Germans were making them as well ? I have seen a couple of MP3008 guns here, so this is interesting to me. I have an original MK5 STEN. Like Bob, I have seen a lot of C&R ( original here in the US) STENS, perhaps more so because state laws here require MGs transferred to people in this state (MN ) to be on the C&R list. I have seen quite a few over the last 35 or so years, but none like you describe - even parts kits have not had any unusual features like those shown. Feel free to post more reference material. ALWAYS good to learn more -

• 7 months later...

Only a few 3008s are in the US registry and in many, many years of collecting, trading in MGs and smithing MGs, I've never run across any French or Belgian Stens. There may be one or two or more and at some point they would have become known, but so far they remain invisible.

French SMGs of any era are extremely scarce in the NFRTR, unfortunately, and they made some very unusual and interesting designs. In my experience, a few, original French SMGs registered in the US came from Vietnam in the late 1960s and were registered prior to or in the '68 Amnesty, and then there are some remanufactured SMGs like the MAT49s. The French left a lot of small arms in Vietnam and regions during their colonial efforts. I was lucky to acquire a French Hotchkiss "Universal" SMG registered by an airforce B52 mechanic who brought it back in '68.

I hope your efforts will be rewarded.

Yes stens seem a never ending source of interest to me - on the trail of a Finnish Sten - interesting story with them and Interarms way back in the day