GSG MP40 range report

Took my 1 month old GSG mp40 to the range again today. Pretty nice grouping starting out. Charging handle popped out during the 2nd mag. This time flying to the rear. I'll have to work on that. Tried 147gn ammo, no joy. Bullet was too blunt. 124gr runs fine. Front sight was aiming a little low. I'm a southpaw, so I switched to RH shooting, allowing for sling use to steady firing. Compensated for the low-aiming sight, and the grouping was better and higher. When I clean it tonight, I'll change the front sight to a shorter one, making the gun shoot higher. Until I get my SBR stamp to install the folding stock, I guess I'll shoot it RH with a sling. No mag problems, since I hold it with my foreward hand under the lower, at the safety knob. Ass-backward charging handle is actually quite nice shooting LH. Forces the left hand off the trigger. Takes a little getting used to, though, after exclusively using American designed military weapons, all having RH charging handles.

Sorry about the ramble, I'm new to this particular forum.

Karl, 68 coupe

I have seen several videos on the possible fixes for the weak detent assembly, and will try adding a washer or two to improve the strength of the spring without detracting from function.

The first time I took down the gun, the take-down pin gave me some grief, so I ordered a pip pin from Mcmaster as a substitute. Its a little ugly, but it works well, doesn't get in the way & I can put it back to original easily.

Karl

If you already have the stock assembly, it ships to ATI disassembled and they have a video on how to install it.

But ATI assembles it upside down or backwards and their video shows how to put it together

Beware, the stocks are coming assembled and they assemble them here upside down!!. I have done a number of these guns

and when you install it upside down and drive the roll pin in, you then realize the stock wont fold!! You then drive the roll pin out

and buy a new roll pin to reinstall it the correct way.

I will post a picture of it showing the correct orientation.

I find them very accurate, lots of slop on the trigger. There is also a utube video on how to improve the trigger pull

Edited by Grease Gunner