Glen Whittenburger 1921 Reproduction Actuator

It is my understanding that well known Thompson enthusiast and all around great guy Glen Wittenburger used to sell complete 21 kits, including reproduction actuators. I do not believe Glen manufactured the reproduction 21 actuators but obtained the actuators from a 3rd party vendor. I seem to recall years ago that Glen offered these reproduction kits for sale at the Thompson Collector Association (TCA) Shows. I know Glen sold springs as I have a few of his (1928) springs with my spare parts. We certainly miss Glen; how I wish he was still with us to answer my questions. And to hang out with!

Does anyone have one of the 21 kits or reproduction actuators sold by Glen years ago?

I am going to bring this back to the top one more time.

Agree Chopper28. I also miss Glen!

I was hoping someone would have at least remembered the 1921 kits that Glen offered for sale years ago.

I am thinking the cocking ears of his reproduction 1921 actuators were U-shaped like the GI 1928 actuators, but I am not certain and would like to verify.

Last time TCA met at Glen's place, he had only one left and said he was not getting anymore. He had tons of 1921 springs though!

Those were great memories... even shot the Porter Co Dilllinger gun!

I talked with Glenn and bought one from him, Now long sold off and Also brand new in cosmo covered. wax wrapper in box mags. when he had those for sale,Was always fair and great person..Yeah we all will be missed.

Will the last person Turn out the lights.

RON

I appreciate the comments. Again, does anyone have one of these actuators? Or know who does? I would really like to document this reproduction actuator for all enthusiasts.

T.D. it went in a box with a 21 as a shooter actuator, well over ten years ago. and positive the 28 i sold,went with a savage actuator. the guy wanted a original, Maybe somebody will turn up, it was the springs Pilot and all.Ron

Gents,

I don't know if this will help, but I bought an entire spring kit on this forum from David Lansky when he was selling Warren Kraiser collection (hoped I spelled his name correctly). I still have the actuator, and the two part spring guide as well as the spring. David was very good in describing these parts, and they were not original COLT. I still have all the parts, and that is what I use when I fire my COLT as a 1921.

You can decide amongst yourselves whether or not Glen could have sold Warren these parts. I also assisted a friend of mine who bought Warren's West Hurly.

I can post photos of the two part spring guide and the actuator, but the actuator is a Savage Actuator that was cut down. (you can tell from the knurling and the U shaped cut in the knob.

Not knowing either of these gentlemen, I think this could have been the source for this set. Unless someone else was out there making these.

Cheers, Sandman1957

Thank you Sandman1957. No need to post pictures of the cut down actuator but I would like to see pictures of the reproduction two part spring guide or buffer pilot.

• 2 weeks later...

Chip,

I appreciate your post on the Stan Andrewski reproduction 1921 buffer pilots. This is a first for me. I have never seen or heard of this reproduction part. I am impressed (and grateful) Mr. Andrewski marked both parts. If I would have known, I would have included this information in my book.

Does anyone have any idea when the Andrewski reproduction buffer pilots were on the market? Price? Literature?

All good stuff! Again, thank you.

I am still looking for the Glen Whittenburger reproduction 1921 actuators.

TD,

I bought this one from Stamford Numismatics, Stamford, CT April 2007 off Gunbroker for $43.74 shipped. I thought I had one of the actuators you're looking for too, but it's one of Doug Richardson's.

• 5 weeks later...

TD

I saw your post and want to introduced myself. My name is Marty and was a friend of Glen's up here in Michigan for over 30 years.

He was the one who handed me his Thompson and said shoot it. I was a Recon Marine in the 70's and was lucky enough to play with a lot of weapons, but never a Thompson. Glen also helped me become a GM designer like himself, and invited me to the Second Chance Pistol event where I met the Michigan crew.

Over the years we have lost more than a few friends from the crew. Which brings me to writing this. Glen sold his Thompson to one of the guys in the crew (Jeff) along with his famous tackle box full of Thompson parts, including a separate box of parts, springs, mags, drums. I was at Glen's house in Solobury when the parts were exchanged and I thought I saw a 21 kit in the box.

Jeff is up north at this years Second Chance shoot. Once he gets back I will ask him to go through the parts and see if he has one of Glen's 21 actuators.

I have been to this site many time to read and learn everything I can. There are many knowledgeable people on this site. I also have many of the Thompson books (Tracey's, Frank's, military TMs, to name a few) but I learn quite a bit off here.

I checked Glen's WH Thompson blish lock slots for any damage.(we know his back end was cracked and welded), but will save that question for my next post. Thanks Marty

Moose1,

I appreciate the help and look forward to your report.

Glen let me shoot that now famous West Hurley Thompson my first time at the Hill Family All Thompson Show & Shoot. He and Beth were so great for the Thompson community.

Thanks!

thompsonteennager - reproduction

Moose1,

I appreciate the help and look forward to your report.

Glen let me shoot that now famous West Hurley Thompson my first time at the Hill Family All Thompson Show & Shoot. He and Beth were so great for the Thompson community.

Thanks!

thompsonteennager - reproduction

interesting wonder how he made all the parts

TD

I finally was able to talked to Jeff yesterday (he helps run the Second Chance Shoot). He said he knows there were the big type springs in the box, but do not remember seeing any actuators like that. He is not the expert like you gentlemen are, and I am learning.

He said when I have time, I can go through the boxes.

I'm sorry we could not come up with anything for you, but thought I would give it a shot.

I miss Glen like everyone else, he took me under his wing and taught me a lot. Jeff and I would drive down to visit Glen often and it was heart breaking to see him go down hill. Both Beth and his buddy Joe from across the street had passed and it was only him and Dolly (his dog).

RIP my friend.

Thanks

Moose

Moose,

I appreciate your efforts and look forward to a future report when you have the time to go through the boxes. I am surprised that I have not been able to solve this puzzle because I remember the Glen's 21 kits on the table at the TCA Shows & Shoots years ago. Unfortunately for me, it was not something I was interested in at the time. That said, it is good to remember and talk about Glenn and Beth. Both are so missed.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

The 2007 TCA Show at the Whittenbergers place in Richmond, IN was an especially fun event. I still have the t-shirt. I remember hauling my manual display boards through their house, and down the stairs into the basement. Seems like they had just finished some major construction. We also had the Dillinger Thompson there, along with the Sheriff from the Indiana County that owns it. I still have his card somewhere...

The last time I saw Glen was at KCR, maybe 3 or 4 years ago. He was saying goodbyes, as he thought he only had a few months left, but he ended up making it about another year and half after that, as I recall. He and Beth are missed, and there aren't many who are better than he was with a Thompson.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com