Fs Thompson Mags & Pouch

Since I no longer have my Kahr Thompson I don't need these mags. The pouch is British I believe and the mags. are Seymour and have not been altered for the Kahr. I have two of these pouches and a total of six magazines. One of the magazines has a very small dent. All sold together for $90. Email if interested.

Thanks

http://pic8.picturetrail.com/VOL256/1324274/2517763/33118005.jpg

http://pic8.picturetrail.com/VOL256/1324274/2517763/33117992.jpg

Johneh, what do you know about these pouches?

What are they called?

Where did you get them?

Do the mags fit loosely?

Is the pouch compartmented?

Anybody else recognize these?

I am looking for some that would be suitable for Sterling mags and these look pretty close.

PK

I was watching ebay when these pouches first came up. Ebay of course, quickly pulled the auction but not before I got in touch with the seller. The owner was a old gentleman who got these a long time ago. Although they don't have any markings, he told me they were WW2 vintage and used by the British. The fittings on the pouch look to be brass and the material looks the same as my British web belt. It wasn't long ago I saw another pouch on ebay but without the magazines. I don't know what it sold for. And yes, the mags fit very snugly. I have a sale pending now.

http://pic8.picturetrail.com/VOL256/1324274/2517763/33117969.jpg

PK,

I bought a pair of those pouches from IMA a few years ago. They advertised them as magazine pouches made specifically for Thompson 30 round magazines. They are not marked but have the typical British webbing material with brass fittings and snap. There is no provision for the braces to connect to the pouches and the straps that appear to have been made to secure the pouches to the web belt are a strange arrangement. They are similar to a RAF pouch that I have seen that was made for Sten and also Lancaster magazines but they are sized so that the only magazine that I have that will fit in the compartments is the 30 round Thompson magazines. The Thompson mags fit it perfectly but my Sten magazines are too long for the pouch and the flap will not close.

Hope this helps.

Rob

I've not seen these before and I've looked at a lot of British webbing. Are you sure they are British? Many other countries in Europe used Mills webbing?

Mills webbing bandoliers were used for the stens, by the Paras mostly PK, would expect they might hold your magazines for the sterling. They turn up occasionally, and I think there were some reproductions. The basic pouches were also used, as above, without the dividers or the straps shown on the bottom. If that is a modified basic pouch, it will not be useful without the braces as the belt clasps were set low on the pouches

The TSMG XXX is a bit wider and thicker that the Sterlings but the latter are a bit more than ¾” longer than the XXX. Also, the curvature in them could present a problem.

How much longer are your Sten mags than the XXX’s Rob?

I can’t believe it is so hard to get something suitable to put L2A3 mags in; as many of these guns as were produced and still in service you would think something has to be available.

What about “P37 general pouches”? I’ve not seen these and have no idea.

Thanks all for the off topic help.

My Sten mags are 15/16 of an inch longer than my Thompson XXX mags. When the Sten mags are placed in the "mystery pouch" the top flap is about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch from being closed.

To carry my Sten mags I use the reproduction 7 cell bandoleer that was made by "King and Country" (Harlan Glen). I think he is out of business now but I am not sure. I also use the P37 pouches to carry Sten mags however, you must use the MKIII pouches as the MKII are too short. There is a company called "What Price Glory" that sells British stuff and he may have some P37 MKIII pouches. From what I have read the MKIII pouch was made around the time that the Sten was first being issued to accept the Sten mags as well as the Bren mags and other items that were carried in these pouches. The MkII pouches would accept everything except the Sten mags, hence the change to the MKIII. This pouch is probably what was used for the Sterling mags although I can't confirm this.

Rob

Thanks Rob, this is just the kind of information I am seeking. How many Sten mags can you get into the MkIII’s?

I have been communicating with WPG but the Major is not very interested in helping out by providing simple dimensions, etc. I typically get one line answers to my inquires and he doesn’t know what gear fits any of the sub gun magazines. He does list the MkII and MkIII pouches at what would appear to be very reasonable prices however.

TAB is sending me a sample p37 pouch to try, although he did not specify the Mk. I am excited to get it and will report back if anyone else is interested.

I'm definitely interested. Although Thompsons are my favorites, I like all military firearms and equipment especially WWII era items.

I'm not sure how many mags will fit in the MKIII pouch as I mainly use the bandoleer when going to the range. I have three magazine stored in it right now so I know it will hold at least three. More than likely it will hold four magazines but I'm at work now and the pouch and mags are at home so I can't tell you for sure until later tonight.

Rob

P.K and others interested,

The MKIII pouch will hold six Sten mags. Four mags in the back, side by side and two in front of the four, end to end. Flap closes and secures and the pouch looks great with the mags in it. I think the Sterling mags are about the same size as the Sten mags so this may be the carrying method that you were looking for. If you have problems finding MKIII pouches let me know. I may be able to put you on to a source.

Rob

Thanks Rob, that’s great news! The sterling mags are curved, so I’ll just have to try. TAB sent a mail and said the MkIII pouch was introduced with the longer Sten mag.

I have a MkIII pouch on the way and should be able to report on the Sterling fit late next week.

I post my thanks to TAB publicly for sending me two MkIII pouches and some other gear; you are a real gentleman and you have my gratitude.

The Sterling magazines are curved, the Sten mags are straight. Still, the Sterling’s mags fit the MkIII pouch exactly as Rob describes above, 6 total. While I prefer pouches that are compartmented, these are certainly serviceable and will do the job for me.

408 rds in 12 magazines would give the soldier armed with the L2A3 a comfortable margin (if not a back ache).

Thanks to all who participated in this off topic thread, and to everyone else who endured it.