Sell A 21/28 To Buy A 21a?

I have a chance to buy a 21A in excellent condition, also comes a Colt serial numbered drum. I have several choices. Spend most of my "mad money" that I put aside for toys such as this, sell some less desirable pieces of my C3 collection along with a lesser amount of mad money, or sell my 21/28 (actually almost not a choice). It's in as good as condition as the 21. Regardless of which I do, would you consider a 21A a step up from a 21/28? My 21/28 is a 5xxx sn, the 21's a 3xxx sn and also has history that goes w/ it

A 21A with history should build value better than the 21/28.

Colt serial #'d drums are not that easy to find so that helps as well.

Trade up some of the less desirable NFA items and pop in a bit of mad money if you have to and KEEP the 21/28 for now.

I am looking at doing ALMOST the same thing to get funds for a 21A with 3 digit serial #.

michael

Jerrys,

Since the 1921A's serial number is not significantly more desirable than the Navy's, and unless the corresponding history of the 1921 is documented to be something other than another PD gun, the only attraction might be the number matching L drum, which, depending on condition, would be worth $3K? You would probably do better just buying a numbered L drum to go with the Navy. But since you already stated the probability of selling the Navy, "actually almost not a choice," you would be channeling about $30K+/- ? of your mad money to buy the A.

Value of 21A Thompson? Finish is about 80%, thin on upper receiver and towards end of barrel, actually worn though on corners of rear of receiver. Numerous light to medium scratches on receiver and some on barrel, but none all the way through except for a couple of small ones towards barrel. Some area around actuator worn to metal. Wood is good and correct. Parts are all original. Here's the part that hurts. SN is 3xxx on receiver, but where it would be on butt stock area under receiver, someone took a punch and made about 150+ dots to destroy the s/n. I tried to determine using a good magnifying class, but it's unreadable. So, no idea if original lower or not. To me, given the 80% condition of the finish plus the defacement really hurts the value. It's still expensive, but certainly not going to bring a premium.

Any thoughts as to a reasonable value appreciated.

This is the "excellent condition" 1921A you were referring to that would prompt you to sell your Colt Navy TSMG, or deplete all your reserve funds to buy?

It's an estate gun. What I was told vs what actually saw were two different things. It was a real disappointment. I wouldn't even think of selling my 21/28 to buy this. I'm going to make them an offer significantly lower than the deceased owner thought it was worth, the offer being based on the condition of the gun and will show them my 21/28 as a comparison. I'll use the gun as a shooter. If they don't take it, my feelings won't be hurt. I had Tracie Hill's book along for reference. The attorney did notice the things I pointed out to him and seemed to under the problem.

He also thought he had a Colt L drum. Of the two drums he had inventoried, one was a 2nd gen Maguire, the other was a Bridgeport