What Thompson To Buy?

I have 2 guns I need to decide on by Monday - a WH M1 for 12K or a WH 1928 for 13K. I know these prices are at market, but this will be my first Thompson even though I have 6 other NFA machine guns. I need everyone's expertise on what would be the best gun to buy. This is my first post even though I have been watching and learning overs the last 6 months.

When you purchase a thompson - at some point you will want to use a drum, something you cant do with a M1. Being able to use a drum adds something to shooting a thompson. This sets the 21 or 28 aside from other guns. I have both, but would pick the 28 over the M1 for fun shooting because of the drum.

My 2cents worth

I have to agree on the 1928 model. Sure there were only 609 of the WH M1's made but you can't stick a drum in them. I have both the M1 and a WH 1928. The '28 you can put the horizontal forearm on and it's just like a M1. Plus most of the M1's will not run properly until they have been worked on.

M1 a little nicer for subgun matchs due to not having the top charging lever than on a bad day can be mistaken for the front sight when your are moving fast. The Lymond sight is also not perfect for 25 years.

The 28 gets you a drum and the option of a slower rate of fire.

Since is your first ... get the 28

Edited by JTinIN

I have both as well and prefer the WH M1. It's easier to clean and just seems to point easier and better than the '28, maybe due to the longer and better positioned butt stock. You'll almost never use the Lyman adjustable rear sight, and the '28 may have a cheap copy anyway. True, I did have to send the M1 off for some expert tweaking as it would not run out of the box. It is now my favorite gun in the safe!

http://thompson.gotdns.com/tsmgguy/mvc-010s.jpg

28 All the way here, I just have a thing for the style.

The M1 seems more robust, but let the Twenties Roll!

For now its a 27. I have used the ladder sight at ranges of 125 yards with fantastic accuracy

I have to weigh in here. I'm fortunate enough to own a WHM1 and a Savage 28A1. I enjoy shooting the M1 more, it's never missed a lick. You got to ask yourself one question, do you like a gangster/police type weapon, or a military type?

I hate to state the obvious, but I will anyway. It does come down to a personal preference. I think that usually overrides any functional advantage. I enjoy the Thompson shows and movies that have been created through the years. I feel that the 28 was most often showcased on them, so that is my preference. Other things might turn your crank when it comes to the styles. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with either one.

I'd have to say it all boils down to personal preference. Yes, the '28 accepts drums and M1 doesn't, but one thing no one has mentioned yet is that the WH M1 TSMG is a C&R MG, but the WH '28s, as a general rule, are not. If you live in a C&R-only state this might make a difference. The same applies if you intended to take the gun out-of-state frequently, or the gun is coming from out-of-state. Having a C&R FFL, in this example, will save you $200 and 90 days.

My. 02

Merle (see FAQs) is going to be modifying and selling new L drums for use in the M1 Thomspons. Okay, the drums won't be "original" but none of the post-WWII drums are.

That removes the drum use consideration from the analysis.

Do you like cleaning guns? If so buy the '28. With the Blish lock action and the compensator on the end of the barrel you'll spend many "enjoyable" hours cleaning. (See previous threads on fruitless efforts trying to keep the comp from fouling and fruitless efforts at trying to come up with an easy way to clean comps).

The '28 has the detachable stock which reduces the overall package size. On the down side the stock slide can get wobbly. Do you want to pay $100 for a new tight slide latch? The fixed M1 stock means a bigger package unless you want to undo/redo the bolts every time.

The lazy man's vote - M1.

Best choice is to try to get both. You'll love them both for their unique qualities.

Whatever you decide and for whatever reasons, enjoy and many happy times!

MP

Go gangster!

http://www.darklightimagery.net/thompson/seriousoffer.jpg

Nothing beats the thrill of the drum...

http://www.darklightimagery.net/thompson/tribute.jpg

http://www.darklightimagery.net/thompson/setup.jpg

One thing that might influence you is this. The WH 28 can have a very bad problem with the locking slots where the M1 won't (It don't have any). After corresponding with PK about mine I found mine has this problem It will take sending it off and having it repaired to keep the receiver from being eventually damaged. This is not only added expense but possibly another half a year getting it done. Something to think about.

Phil, that goes without saying...http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

QUOTE (GESMod28 @ Nov 20 2004, 05:21 PM)
I have 2 guns I need to decide on by Monday - a WH M1 for 12K or a WH 1928 for 13K. I know these prices are at market, but this will be my first Thompson even though I have 6 other NFA machine guns. I need everyone's expertise on what would be the best gun to buy. This is my first post even though I have been watching and learning overs the last 6 months.

Thanks for all the imput to help make my decision. So everyone knows, I worked out a trade for the 1928 WH Thompson with 4 Class 3 guns I already owned(and profited on), so there was no cash outlay except $400 for 2 Form 4 transfers to the dealer where I bought the 1928. I appreciate everyones imput and will post pictures when I receive the Thompson. Thanks again for the information.

Layfayette George,

General consensus is that it is best not to "drum cut" an M1 receiver. Such a modification (which also includes mag well modification) reduces collector value and may negatively effect receiver strength (certainly does not add strength).

Far better to get an M1 modified new production drum now that the ban is over. (See thread on M1 Modified Drums).

This is my first post and I want to just jump into the fray.

I don't own any Thompson SMG's yet. I have finished with the MP5, Uzi, Mac, and M16 route and now I looking at the trench broom.

I noticed that the 50th Anniversery models that come up for sale move very slowly and seem to be priced lower that other models.

I was just curious as to why?

Thanks and great board!

Edited by NFACollector

NFACollector,

Welcome!

At $10K I think you'll not find much in the full-auto Thompson field today. At $17K you may well be able to get a decent WWII vintage '28A1 of either Savage or Auto-Ordnance (AOC) manufacture by looking about sharply.

Between that are the West Hurley M1's, the West Hurley '28's, and the WWII vintage M1/M1A1 TSMG's (again either Savage or AOC), generally priced in approximately that order, low to high. Colt Thompsons are not likely to be found below $20K, even in less than 85% condition.

Variations of the TSMG's in your price range abound. You may wish to read "American Thunder" (out of print but still available, soon to be supplanted by American Thunder II"), "United States Submachine Guns", and "Thompson: The American Legend" to get an idea of what the variations of TSMG's are.

Best of luck in your search and purchase!

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Nov 24 2004, 10:43 AM)
The WHs had to meet no standards, as long as they would fit into the packing box.

That's pretty funny. Thanks for the tips and the FAQ.

I know my way around HK, UZI, MAC subguns pretty well. However, I know enough only to be dangerous in the Thompson field.

Did any of you happen to notice the Thompson that was for sale about a year ago on a certain machinegun broker site?

It was a registered Thompson in poor condition that had been found in a river bed and supposely had a historical background.

Any know the skinny on it. I was tempted to buy it because it was so cheap but I figured restoring it would make it be too much effort and money.