2 UD42s in RIA Dec Auction

Already have my watchlist made up

Trying to figure out what in the hell I'd do with a PTRS. :wacko:

If I come up with an answer to that, it may go on the list too

I'll supply a round of ammo, but these days I'd think about pre-scheduling your two surgeries well in advance of firing to avoid the painful wait in the ER with your good hand covering your now bad eye since your other shoulder is immobile. I have a Lahti setup in 14.5 cases, but that's at least twice the gun, and it's necked down to .50, so less recoil.

I was being somewhat facetious. 25 or so years ago at KCR there was a guy firing a PTRS. I was maybe 15 feet behind him when he touched it off. I checked myself for pieces of shrapnel because I was sure the damned thing had blown up. It hadn't. However my interest in ever owning or even shooting one definitely had. I can get all the abuse I need or want from my Barrett.

ADDENDUM:

I cannot even imagine what it would be like to fire a PTRD. Three-fourths the weight of the RS and a bolt gun instead of a semi-auto.

The final scene in Days of Glory where the Russian partisans are firing what is supposed to be one at an oncoming German tank and the recoil barely moves a 105 lb. ballerina-turned-soldier lacks a certain credibility

Edited by StrangeRanger

• 1 year later...
On 10/24/2021 at 9:25 PM, StrangeRanger said:

I cannot even imagine what it would be like to fire a PTRD. Three-fourths the weight of the RS and a bolt gun instead of a semi-auto.

The final scene in Days of Glory where the Russian partisans are firing what is supposed to be one at an oncoming German tank and the recoil barely moves a 105 lb. ballerina-turned-soldier lacks a certain credibility

That's what shooting blanks looks like. No recoil!

I fired blanks in my PTRS shortly after I bought it years ago which was a lot of fun and really, really  loud. No recoil! Eventually acquired a dozen or so reloads. Anchored down, the gun jumped quite a bit remotely fired. A friend at the event fired two of the rounds and was very impressed with the recoil shock but said it wasn't as bad as he expected. He shoots a Lahti and Barrett's in different barrel lengths so enjoys it.I had a Lahti which I didn't like to shoot but still have a beautiful Solothurn S1000 on it's wheeled mount which is a joy to shoot! No more shooting Lahtis for me......

Modern 14,5 rounds are available and some have fired them in PT's. I've heard a story or two about modern 14,5 damaging the Russian guns but no confirmation by pics or description. FWIW