Flare Gun Inserts

gunny100

• 2 weeks later...

Several years ago there were a couple of companies (Tapco for one) that advertised the 12 ga inserts for the 26.5mm flare guns. These were intended to be used with 12 ga flares that they also sold. Haven't seen any of those adds in a long time.

I very much doubt that those would have been safe to use live ammo as most of the flare gns were alminum or zink/pot metal and would not have withstood the firing of a live round.

I would think that a conversion for shotgun shells would be legal, but ???

There were also tubes made for the Pengun flare launchers in 22 cal, but I have heard that they were frowned on by the feds???

Sarge

A 12 gauge steel insert for the 1 1/2" No4 Mk1* signal pistol was used by the Royal Air Force, but it was intended for firing 12g bird scaring cartridges on airfields. I have got one in my collection, with British military inspection markings.

In theory an ordinary 12g could be fired but this will have an operating pressure higher than the original pistol was designed for. It may work out, if not it would be an interesting topic of conversation with ones cellmate.

Regards

AlanD

Sydney

I have a pair of these inserts . They were made to fire 12 ga shells out of a 10 ga shotgun , though they were made in all combos including .22 and .38 spl. and such . They were made to function through a pump action . I have a USGI 10ga flare gun and few 10ga flares . I had him make a pair of his shotgun adapters but short chambered to fit my flaregun and only take the USCG approved 12ga flares . I also have plastic inserts to allow 25/26 mm in 37mm guns and 12ga in 25/26mm guns ( and 12 ga in 37mm by using two inserts ) .

You are correct . If the chamber does not restrict the choice to flare rounds only , you will be making an AOW / SBS device. Which of course is legal with proper approval if one wants to go for it.

I have not seen these for sale in a few decades . I would think firing a 12 in a 10 or 20 in a 12 or .410 in a 20 out of just a chamber insert would lead to a blunderbuss / no choke pattern which would have very limited appeal . I think they went the way of the dodo bird due to lack of intrest.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

These are an entirly different animal than what we are talking about. These are 4 inches long and have a built in rifled barrel. They are sub-caliber conversion barrels and are no problem as long as local laws allow pistols and such. The ones that may be a problem are only chamber long , with no barrel , that could change your flare gun into a short barreled shotgun.

A small physical and practical difference , but a possible large legal one.

Chris

See what you mean Chris, but the original post asked about an insert to shoot "shotgun shells, pistol shells and revolver shells" The subcaliber inserts I posted will do that, which helps the original poster. However I agree that the letter in no way applies to the inserts that would only shoot shotgun shells and are not rifled that were mentioned by Sarge and yourself.

- Ron

• 3 years later...

Besides the Kennesaw .22 & .45/410 rifled inserts which Are Federally lawful per ATFE FTB there are other inserts in 12 gauge that are short chambered and intended for use with flares.

These to are lawful for their intended purpose.

The incidental potential issue is possession of said 12 gauge flare inserts with various manufacture mini or short shells as marketed by Agulia & NobelSport.

Another point was that there was at least one clown selling full 12 gauge inserts on Gunbroker. Those ARE an issue if possessed with a flare pistol

maybe less so with a Czech RV flare rifle as it's barrel is Well over 18"

Unless I miss read the ATF letter aren't these what the letter is referring to?.....See above posted link

No , these have a short section of rifling , making the flare gun a pistol . The problem is from the units which only shrink the chamber but still use the flare gun's smooth barrel .

Another thing which can raise it's ugly head is the possession of " anti-personal rounds " . You can buy the 37MM grenade launcher look a likes and fire smoke , flare , and bird bombs out of them . These have no serial numbers on them . You can also get them with serial numbers for about $55 more . This allows you to register them as DDs to allow you to possess rubber bullet / ball rounds and these adaptors .

Chris