Need Some Sander Parts

I thought with all the talent that could be found on this board that maybe someone might be able to specially make a couple parts for me. Pictured below is the type of sander that I was using to make my thompson grips and stocks. (mine is blackened and the aluminum pullys partially melted, but otherwise I think quite usable) I've looked for the same sander and can't find a used one and they don't make parts for them any more. The new 1x42 sanders don't have the same generous working area so I thought maybe I could get my old one fixed up.

I wonder if someone could make top and bottom pullys. Bottom shaft is 1/2 inch I think, and the top is smaller and had some sort of ball bearing as part of the pully. They would be about 4 inches in diameter. If anyone thinks they could machine something for me, let me know and I'll get a more detailed report on the shaft and pully details that I'd need. The tool shop guy said potentially you could get a high grade dense plastic as the working material, but I'd think aluminum would be the way to go.

Oh, if anybody sees one of these for sale, I'd love to hear about it.

Work on the garage and shop is going well, ahead of shedule. Its kind of fun to tool shop now too. Got the saws and routers and such, just working on this critical sanding tool now.

Thanks

Dan

http://www.mclurkincustomknives.com/WebShop/1X42-Sand(6).jpg

Dan,

I have a sander that belonged to my father that looks a whole lot like the one in your picture. We used it for many things, but the reason it was purchased was to install recoil pads. Unfortunately, it is located out of state so I cannot give you any precise information about it right now. If I remember correctly, it was purchased from SEARS. Perhaps some research at SEARS may yield the parts you need. SEARS has been known to have replacement parts for many items that were sold years ago.

Thanks for the responses guys. I did check sears and no parts for my old sander. Perhaps I'm thinking too much that I need the exact thing I had, but might not hurt to try something different.

Devlin, hadn't seen one like the Grizzly, I down loaded the specs and it looks like the perfect replacement. It appears I can arrange the belt in the same shapes as the old sears, especially the long contour configuration. I'm going to buy it and see.

Thanks very much guys for the help.

Dan

Dan,

Good to heaar you are ahead of schedule!

If you have pulleys made, I believe the od is not flat. They should have a very large radius in them, which is what allows the belt to self center. Not positive, if you see another similer sander, you may want to put a pair of calipers on the pulley to get the exact dimensions!

Good luck!