Thompson Gunshow Finds For The Weekend

I was recently at the Allentown gunshow this past weekend and picked up a few neat items for myself. I got:

an original Colt 1921 long cleaning rod for the hardcase

a mint and I mean MINT Gale and Polden British manual

a patent date magazine with the holes filled for issuance by the British in the deserts

and an original British Home Guard wood case for one gun, three drums, 4 sticks, cleaning rod, sling, and small bits as pictured in Tracie Hills Thompson An American Legend. No accessories, just the case.

There really wasn't much in the way of Thompson gear in the room aside from some 5 cell pouches, what I had on my table, and a British metal magazine box for the 20 round stick mags, although it seemed a bit pricey at $400. It was in really nice shape with the original felt and divider things. I can still get it I'm sure if I was wrong on the value, which I may be as I've never seen any firsthand for sale and don't know what they fetch.

I'd post some pictures for you guys but I really don't know how, so if anyone could help, I'll post a few.

Good finds!

I remember the metal boxes going on evilbay for $175 to $275, recently they have gone up (no surprise there...).

I got lucky and got 2 excellent cond patent date mags for $20 each at the Lansing MI show two weeks ago. Didn't even barter on that deal!

What did you have to fork out for the Brit wood box? One minus internals went around $300 - if I remember right - recently.

Pictures would be great!

well, it wasn't exactly cheap...but the internals are perfect as is the outside of the box. I was unable to find any for sale online when I looked it up on my laptop, in fact, I wasn't able to even find a reference to them but remembered seeing a picture in a book. I may have paid too much but I'm not overly concerned as I wanted it for myself. I figure that as long as it's for me, if i end up overpaying by a bit, it's alright as I'll have it for years and it will at some point be worth more then I paid for it. Now all I need is an early British 1928 to put in it. What are the Colt rods worth? I can't remember, but I saw that the repros are listed for about $125 apiece.

For the case, Colt rod, and the mint G&P manual I paid the guy $1,500. I'm sure I didn't steal the stuff and probably paid retail, but on some things, especially those for myself, I'm fine with that. Everything can't be a bargain http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

I never seem to be able to find that kind of Thompson stuff..... Anyway you can get some pics? I can host them if that is a problem... just email them to me..... I would really like to see the case....

sorry for the delay, still working on getting some pics, have to remember to take the digital camera home. also just received a commercial Thompson oiler from a gentleman at the show who mentioned he had one. looks like I had a pretty good show afterall!

philasteen, i don't recall his name at the moment, however, he's recently been saving all the one-off Thompson stuff he comes across. next show he mentioned that he might have some patent date mags for me, so we'll see.

I just got back from the SAR show.

There was heaps of thompson stuff.

Minty XX Auto-Ord mags for $20 unissued,

"L" drum mags, mainly Auto-Ord or Seymore for around $600. I picked up a damaged Auto-ord "L" drum mag for $150 which was promply confinscated by Merle as the internals and key etc were mint and he really wanted the rotor etc so i let him have it.

I got a Police type case for $350 , also two nice drums and a heap of really nice mags including 3 patent date mags, one correct patent, one incorect patent and one engraved correct patent date plus a really nice blank mag.

There were lots of New York "L" drums and about four Colt "C" drums that I saw,

There where a heap of Guns for sale, 1921's 1928A1" M1A1's etc , original FBI cases, parts kits for ever and lots and lots of parts, Most of this stuff has come out of Russia.

I had a great time and came home skinned!

Regards

Murray http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif