Quality Fab 1928?

Collector's Firearms of Houston Texas has the following listed;

"Quality Fab 1928 Thompson .45 ACP caliber Submachine gun Class III Full Auto. A great 1928 style Thompson machine gun with finned barrel and vertical grip in great condition and ready for transfer. Class III item. NFA rules apply."

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/quality-fab-1928-thompson-45-acp-r22292/

It clearly is a West Hurley production, overpriced, but the "Quality Fab" was a new one on me. Anybody heard of that name on a Thompson before?

Edited by Motorcar

Yes. This was a subcontractor for the Auto-Ordnance Corporation, West Hurley (AOC WH), New York, that manufactured the receiver, frame and several other parts. My interview with former AOC WH President Ira Trast for a story in Small Arms Review magazine revealed AOC WH used two primary subcontractors for the manufacture of many of the parts used in the West Hurley Thompson guns. Mr. Trast cited the name of a subcontractor in New York from memory that manufactured many of the larger parts - Quality Manufacturing Company. Additional information obtained after publication revealed the name of the subcontractor may have been Quality Fabrication, Inc. It is possible both names are correct depending on the time frame involved. A look inside the frame of this Thompson may revealed the stamped letters "QF" along with a hand etched serial number.

​The story, Those West Hurley Thompson Parts, was published in Small Arms Review magazine in the November 2011 issue. Board members with West Hurley Thompson guns will find the story very informative.

• Upvote 1

Thanks TD. I knew if there was something legit to it someone here would have insight. I'm also surprised that Collector's had it listed that way, although they seem to do a very good job on research with big ticket items. Thanks again for the interesting background.

Wow, so who saw the day coming where we would be seeing ads touting the quality of one subcontractor of West Hurley guns over another? And a price point upcharge reflecting it? Not long ago a guy would spend a half hour "selling" you a 28 Thompson and when he thought he had you hooked (or gaffed depending on your perspective) his voice would get real quiet and he'd say "ummm.....did I mention it was a west hurley gun?" as if it were no big deal. Times they are a changin'