Customs

huggytree

bought a drum from Poland....got a tracking #, seller is a good guy(referrals all said so and they are known dealers)

drum was last seen 12-1-18 leaving poland....nothing since..

wondering if there is an issue with customs bring a 40 round drum into the country? is it a possibility? it should have been given a USPS tracking # and at my house by now....

just curious if there is a possible issue importing a drum ?

I regularly figure on 60 days for deliveries from eastern Europe. One fine and sunny day whatever it is just shows up on my doorstep, almost always with a signature required. Tracking info usually peters out somewhere along the line, so I don't much bother checking it.

I'm looking for a particular wood set, common before EU restrictions kicked in last September. Many European sellers took the new restrictions to mean that no gun parts of any kind could be sold, but the savvy ones have kept right on selling to the US. I'd appreciate the contact info for your seller. Could you PM?

Edited by TSMGguy

seller is verified with a few people...one is a larger FA dealer...so he has a good rep.

i buy thompson parts from the Russian Federation and others and have never lost $1

ill give it another 2 weeks before i worry more..

its a rare 40 rd Suomi drum....never seen one for sale before....dont want to lose it as it was minty

Welcome to the Christmas season !!!

Ordered four mags from AL on 12/6 . Guaranteed delivery by 12/12 . USPS tracking shows picked up 12/7 and leaving Grant , AL on 12/7 then …..NADA …..nothing …..zip . Called the shipper on 12/14 . He informed me that he has 400+ packages in transit currently and that none of them after Thanksgiving showed tracking info except for shipment day and delivery day . USPS is not scanning in between to save time . Delivery is taking up to double the promised time line . Currently 12/18 and no sign of mine :angry2: .

Chris

Ordered four mags from AL on 12/6 . Guaranteed delivery by 12/12 . USPS tracking shows picked up 12/7 and leaving Grant , AL on 12/7 then …..NADA …..nothing …..zip . Called the shipper on 12/14 . He informed me that he has 400+ packages in transit currently and that none of them after Thanksgiving showed tracking info except for shipment day and delivery day . USPS is not scanning in between to save time . Delivery is taking up to double the promised time line . Currently 12/18 and no sign of mine :angry2: .

Chris

I have had USPS packages that were scanned multiple times between shipping and receiving during the Christmas peak delivery period this year. Who guaranteed six day delivery as I am not aware of any USPS service with a six day delivery guarantee. The only USPS service I am aware of that has a delivery guarantee is Express mail within the US.

If the seller was "Trench Knife" on GB, he is legit. I've bought from him and received goods as promised. IIRC delivery was somewhat glacial

Thanks! I get a "does not exist" message when I enter the seller name Trench Knife.

If the seller was "Trench Knife" on GB, he is legit. I've bought from him and received goods as promised. IIRC delivery was somewhat glacial

Thanks! I get a "does not exist" message when I enter the seller name Trench Knife.

Sorry, you're right. It's been a while since I bought from him and I had to look him up. "Trench Knife" was the name that popped up when I looked at the history on my PayPal account. IIRC he used a different user name on GB but I'm not sure if I remember it correctly. I think it may have been a variation on "Strurmgewehr"

I sold a rifle to a gentleman. I quoted him FedEx, UPS and USPS Priority Mail. He chose USPS Priority Mail, which saved him about $5. Delivery time was supposed to be 3 days. He got it 2 weeks later. It left Tennessee and didn't show another scan for a week, when it showed up in Denver. Stayed there 3 days, left, came back to Denver and then finally headed on the West Coast. No guarantee of delivery time with Priority Mail. All of this explains why I have a job.

Kp31 Suomi 40 round drums are hard to find!

I've imported magazines from Europe before and all magazines require a US import permit. Don't get caught..

he had a 2nd one, but not as nice..this one was mint/matching

dont know anything about the importing process...bought from a known seller on sturm...he also sells on GB...i figure he knows what he is doing....maybe? maybe not....we will see

Kp31 Suomi 40 round drums are hard to find!

I've imported magazines from Europe before and all magazines require a US import permit. Don't get caught..

he had a 2nd one, but not as nice..this one was mint/matching

dont know anything about the importing process...bought from a known seller on sturm...he also sells on GB...i figure he knows what he is doing....maybe? maybe not....we will see

The importer is responsible for importation laws. He only needs to be concerned with his export laws.

That said, it only applies when the package gets inspected. Some play the game, some dont.

FWIW

Ron

What would you value a mint matching one ???

I didnt know what to offer/pay

It was a lot more than $109how long ago was that

?

Link to mine

https://m.fotosik.pl/aukcje/1476782/4fece6842b0a1669

That drum was in the material we purchased from Ohio Ordnance.

It was listed on our web site just a couple of months ago.

I had a hard time pricing it as I didn't find any comparable's.

Since we only had the one I didn't spend too much time on it.

I have been listing lots of interesting stuff!!

And, all our goods are already in the USA so no worries about US Customs or a visit from the Homeland Security agents.

Richard

Its a really neat piece of early mg history. I hope it arrives.

FYI. You guys know that little window is a counter ? Shows how many rounds left. Also loads bullet nose down.

So long as you're buying it as an historical artifact you should be okay. From what I've read, the 40 round drum had a poor reliability record and was replaced by the more reliable 71 round drum (which isn't all that reliable either - buy four to get three that work 100%, and waste hours and hours trying in vain to get that fourth one up to par). For reliability, the Oscar Payne designed Thompson drums are the standard by which all others seem to be judged.

Enjoy that cute little 40 rounder! They are a unique and scarce accessory.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

Chris

I have had USPS packages that were scanned multiple times between shipping and receiving during the Christmas peak delivery period this year. Who guaranteed six day delivery as I am not aware of any USPS service with a six day delivery guarantee. The only USPS service I am aware of that has a delivery guarantee is Express mail within the US.

True . The guarantee was from the seller . It was sent Priority which should have been here in 3-4 days . It was 4 Kimber Micro 9 magazines in the new 8 round extended version , so prob'ly a small flat rate box . The seller has refunded my money through PP and asked me to contact him on delivery and he'd issue a recall tag . I told him to hold off till after Christmas and IF it shows I'll just repay him , if not , I'll reorder and send back one if both end up showing up .

I've sent packages that went wayward , too . The worst I recall was one sent from Yuma to Phoenix ( should have been one day and one shipping step ) with delivery conformation . Received the conformation back , then the buyer called from FL. and said he didn't get it . This went on for several weeks with me saying I had proof of delivery and he saying he moved to FL . Six months later , the package returned to me stamped " non-deliverable " . I tried to contact the buyer , but all phone numbers and e-mails were no good . Still feel bad about that after about 10 years now .

Chris

i plan on shooting the drum once a year for fun.....comparing a battle field condition with what i will put it through are 2 different things...what jammed and didnt work well on a battlefield may work just fine for me....im sure the exposed spring got mud in it, dirt/debris everywhere...loading them nose down not the smartest idea...if it doesnt run well ill sell it...if i get a jam every 3-4 times i run it im fine....if it jams every time i will sell.

ive got 4 uppers/guns that use the drum...so it will be enjoyed (if it shows up--now at 30 days)

i found 0 comparables...paid $300...he was asking $400

didnt see the one on your website or i would have offered $200

I wish I had possessed a better understanding of the value of that drum!

I just hope Jeff doesn't discover I undervalued and under priced it!

Oh, and I apologize.

I realized that I just did to you what has happened to me.

I pay good money to buy something I wanted and someone comes along and tells me I could have bought it for less else where.

Maybe your purchase will show up just in time for Christmas?

I am sure you will enjoy owning and using such an interesting drum.

Richard