Sten Mark V front grip

I know the Sten front grips were somewhat of a failure and withdrawn from service. I just received my Mark V Sten. Its a legitimate WW2 mark V and I would really like to add a front grip to it, though I have never seen one for sale. Do they even exist ? Would even consider a repro if it looked authentic Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a repo on mine and took it off. it kept unscrewing the barrel nut when I fired it.

Hah! That is the same reason the British abandoned the front grip on the STEN MK5.

APEX had less than 5 of the original grips.

ALL the STEN kits we purchased and not ONE MK5 kit even had the retaining band for that front grip.

Either they did a great job of pulling them from service or the troops didn't like it.

Richard

• 9 months later...

I have an original and it works great to control the sten in full auto dumps. I did however move mine back to the point it covers the gap between the receiver and barrel shroud. Nothing unscrews and it really does change how you control the sten.

I have a repro front grip from Sarco and that's exactly where I have mine mounted on my Mk2 tube gun. Works really well in full auto and I really have not had issues with it coming undone or spinning the barrel shroud/nut off. I have it covering the gap between the shroud nut and the receiver just forward enough to rotate the magazine housing if needed.

• 1 month later...

Heres an original, the version I have is similar but marked as M47A for BSA.

How does this attach? I can't tell from the pictures, but it looks like there's a screw that holds the band to the barrel shroud?

Robert

The screw in the grip passes through the the band and tightens up against the shroud. As you tighten the screw, the band get tighter on the shroud and the wood grip is pulled tight against the shroud.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...