FCSA Temp: Forum Problems

I figured I'd pull the subject content from the "M95 Accuracy" thread to give that guy a better chance of getting replies...and to focus FCSA types on this significant issue. Here is what I copied over:

Big Dog on 24 Nov 2015

Have any of you been able to access the Members Forum on FCSA? I have sent a couple emails to the webmaster but received no replies. Karen (Secretary) did reply and indicated she relayed my error message (404) to Brett the webmaster. I've also volunteered to help as a Moderator and also offered my and my wife's assistance with the forum, but zero replies so far, going on a week. My wife is a DBA by profession and has a Masters in Computer Engineering and Programming.

M95M on 25 Nov 2015

BD, same here but when I sent an email to the webmaster based on the 404 error code messsage I got a bounce back from the email server saying not a vaild address email address. They must have had a major server melt down. You could ask Oldman to talk to the frog and see what is going on. It sure would be nice to know one way or another.

V/R

Ed

Big Dog on 26 Nov 2015

Ed, I spoke to Oldman and he has spoken to Brett the Webmaster. It appears the problem is with the hosting company and monetary issues as well as some software issues as well. I'm hoping Brett will call me (I've sent him my info through Karen. I believe it would not take a ton of effort to use readily available bulletin board software and add a few tweaks, and a new hosting company, and we could get the forum up and running rather quickly. My only concern, would be whether we could recover all the old posting and information. Losing that, would be quite bad, in my honest opinion. I'll offer to help moderate the forum if that is what it takes. I had a couple of my own forums that were aviation, and fishing/hunting related years ago and passed them on to good friends as I moved around the country following my job.

I hope you and everyone else has a Wonderful Thanksgiving, Hopefully, the FCSA Member Forum can get rectified soon.

Best Wishes,

Jim

dalbert on 26 Nov 2015

Jim,

Feel free to direct others to this forum in the meantime. This forum at the Biggerhammer site pre-dates the FCSA forum, and for a while, it was the only .50 caiber forum on the internet. If things don't work out, I could even modify this one, or add an additional forum dedicated to FCSA.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

A comment on Big Dog's first post in that (now this) thread - had me doing a double take when you mentioned your wife is a DBA. I first thought DBA = doing business as. Then I remembered from 20+ years ago and concluded you meant DBA = data base administrator (in those days typically related to mainframe computers, big iron). Is she now dealing with websites and HTML or XML or whatever the "big iron" world is now using? I have three websites, all super simple text-base with no forum (and no interest in adding one). I have multiple back-ups of all my content - on my PC, in a removable hard drive backed up daily, and on a second but only periodically backed up hard drive. I'm hoping FCSA has the same. Which means "we" could retrieve everything post by post but that would take a lot of hands and a very long time, not to mention temporary access.

I suggest we start FCSA Forum threads here for the time being. By "here" I mean on David Albert's new Biggerhammer site, this forum (Barrett, Serbu & Other .50 Caliber Rifles Discussion Forum), using the title, "FCSA Temp: thread title", as I have done here.

Best regards to all, God bless, and Happy Thankgiving!

Oscar

• 3 weeks later...

Oscar, My wife is a Senior Data Base Admin for one of the largest Medical Insurance companies in the US. She runs the back bone of their entire system. She does all of this by telecommuting from home, which she loves. She has a Masters in Computer Engineering and Programming, and nearly 30 years experience. She has deep knowledge of DB2, Oracle and numerous other types and brands of software. She does a lot of work directly with IBM.

I ran my own computer company when I lived in GA, focusing mainly on building, setting up systems and servers, for small/med businesses and network integration. I did this, in my spare time, as my main career was as an Aircraft Technician. I also ran several Bulletin Boards that were for topics such as dog rescue, computer help, a Shooters Forum that covered HK-91 and AK-47, especially those that had select fire, and numerous other topics, back when I lived in GA. I gave them up, when I had to move to MN and no longer had the extra time. Now, all I have is time...lol

From what I have been told by Oldman, they are working on getting the forum back up and running. they are testing it on a new server and will be migrating all of the FCSA data, to new servers and once they all work properly, they will put it back online. I have offered assistance from not only myself, but my wife as well, if it's needed. For now, I guess we use here. I just wish we had a way to contact the other people, and let them know we are here. I have a few members email addresses and will notify them later today.

Edited by Big Dog

BD:

Three weeks plus and ZIP. I contacted the FCSA office using their online contact form on 12/9 and received this on 12/10, "Hang in there Oscar there is light at the end of the tunnel. I can't give you an exact time frame but we are hoping to have the forum up and running soon. The problem has been pinpointed and it is just a matter of the technical details now. We appreciate your patience."

At least the CalGuns forums are back up.

Took a while to get me approved here guys = I will update what I know.

Brett has been conferring with me on these issues.

The FCSA has 4 server needs, Member Forum, Visitor Forum, Main Site with pictures & Match information, and FCSA Store.

All have been repaired by moving to new servers with a new company, but the FCSA Store server is not working as correctly as desired, thus the delay. All will be turned on at same time. Repair required setup on new servers with a new company. This move required a Board of Directors approval and financials needed to be approved. That's done. Now just waiting for Final Debug and new links to make accessable.

BLAME ME FOR THE DELAYS.

I told, insisted, Brett not turn on any one server until ALL were ready to go full speed. There were reasons for this due to switching companies that hosted the servers.

So, BLAME ME FOR THE DELAYS, not Brett or others. Brett has his full-time job and photography business. He works as our FCSA IT Person strictly on a voluntary basis after normal business hours. No pay for a thankless job, so slack off, and blame me.

We are hoping to be up and running smoothly before CHRISTmas.

Any further questions, you may contact me by e-mail at: OldmanFCSA@aol.com

Thank you for your understanding.

Hi all, as of last night the FCSA Members Forum is up and running. It is at a different url address and if you have it Bookmarked, you will need to update your bookmark. The web address is below

http://www.photo.1moa.org/forum//

I sent PM's on the forum to those that I had their info.

The Visitor's forum is still "down" or they need to relink from the main site home page.

A related matter, I had communicated with the webmaster several months ago, when the main url started showing 1moa.org, asking when we could expect to get back to .fcsa.org. I was told that the 1moa.org was temporary, used for testing and interim use. Any word whether we are going to get back to fcsa.org? IMHO, 1moa could apply to tons of totally unrelated activities and seems hardly appropriate for the Association.

Also posting this on the members only forum and stopping posting re FCSA here.

Edited by ELR Researcher

For those of you looking for another active .50 board, go to ar15.com click on the Armory button and it will open another window where you'll see the 50 Forum.

Yeah it's not private like the FCSA board but there's plenty of action on it. As the moderator there I will pass this along, you can't offer anything for sale in the sub forums. If you're a business owner you can't post stuff for sale or links to your site unless you get permission from the site administration. The site has an Equipment Exchange area to post things for sale or wanted and trades.

I don't let personal attacks or other stupid crap get posted, I will delete it and send you a warning. So there's no worries when it comes to the forum being moderated. So, if you have time stop by and check it out as new members are always welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah...now we can't edit posts, add new topics, or reply??? I just tried and there is no "activity" sensed to reveal the main text area and no feature menu displayed. I tried to flag the problem using the title field but when I hit "Post" it erred out, said I needed to provide a post (i.e., enter something in the now non-existent text area). BigDog or OldMan - please flag our webmaster.

BTW, the Visitor's forum is still down.

I am trying to contact him. I just learned of the problem after Oldman called and asked me to try to post. It looks like there are duplicate forum headers that may be causing the issue.

On another note, Oldman is trying to get in touch with earthquake (FCSA Nickname) and if any of you have his contact info please help get him and Oldman connected. You can also give earthquake my direct email and I'll get the two connected.

My email is BigDog58 at gmail dot com

Jim

Edited by Big Dog