Another Thompson?

I have been considering adding a second Thompson, a WHM1A1, but it would require me to sell or trade away an MP5SD. Am I doing the right thing?

The MP5 is a Hard Times, so its not the most desirable when it comes to looks, but it is quiet and the most reliable mg I've ever owned.

What are my fellow Thompson enthusiasts' opinions on this matter?

I did that very thing back in '99. Traded a not the prettiest Qualified MP5SD for a 93% Colt 1921AC I saw in SGN. The guy wanted $ 9K + for the Thompson. At first, he was not interested in the MP-5, but he called me back a few days later and said he'd take the MP-5 and about $2200 for the '21. I jumped on it. That too was my second Thompson. Haven't looked back since.

I personally would not trade an MP-5 for a WH gun, but that's just me. You could probably get into an M16 with that MP5. Which other Thompson do you have?

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif Jay-I would make the trade. A WHM1 Thompson has only a production of alittle over 600 made. If PK in Colorado goes over your gun like he did my, it will be extremely relieable. I had a Colt M-16 at one time, my WHM1 Thompson is more fun! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

I wanted the M1 to complement my Savage 1928A1. I preferred an original but the WH is a C&R and that counts for something. I already have an M-16 which I picked up just prior to the Shrike feeding frenzy. Anyway, without disclosing the details of the trade, I'm coming out ahead according to one dealer friend of mine. I'll probably close this deal tomorrow and by Christmas there'll be a tommy under the tree. Thanks, guys for your imput.

Well, since you already have an M16........... You have a Savage 1928A1 (the one Thompson I'd own, if I could only own one Thompson). The M16 and the Thompson would be the last two of three MG's I'd never let go of if I had to get down to three machine guns. Biggest problem would be to decide which M16 to get rid of and which Thompson to get rid of. The third is the MP44. Only got one of those, so the decision is made there. Mr. MP40 would have to go.

Unless you are really bored and need to get rid of the MP5, I'd hold onto it. Definite cool (and quiet) factor. Or........

You could sell the MP5 and get a Sterling. The Sterlings are sleepers and are probably the next big thing. They are really classy pieces. I wish I had gone that route. Buy a bunch of uppers for the M16 and a Powder Springs M10 in .45 with the change. Just my biased opinion.

Waffen,

The first machinegun I ever owned, was an StG44. I sold it last year. It ran somewhat erratically with the 30-60 year old ammo I had bought at 35-50 cents per round. But now, that 8MM Kurz is over a dollar. That's approaching Browning .50 caliber territory, so I was shooting it less and getting less joy. I replaced it was an M-16 and put the extra cash in the bank.

The MP40 will stay, but my goal is to replace the Wilson with an original. And I have little doubt that I will likely buy another MP5 when the right one comes along. Sterlings are ok, or should I say stenlings, shot one owned by a shooting buddy, just haven't gotten the bug for that one.