1927A1 trigger problems

Took my 2 week old 1927A1 T1B out to the range today. Steel receiver gun. The first 20 rounds or so shot great. Then I noticed that the gun would not fire with a round in the chamber; maybe every ten rds or so. Pulling the trigger a second time would make the gun fire. By the time I had 80 rds through the gun I could'nt get off 2 shots in a row. The odd thing is that sonetimes the gun wont fire even after 20 quick trigger pulls, but it would fire 1 shot if I gave it a 30 second break; without re cocking it! I've never had a gun that wont fire unless you let it sit. I cleaned and oiled the gun before taking it out. I used winchester and federal 45acp. The problem occured with the factory 30 rd stick and with a taiwan 50 rd drum. Does anybody have any ideas on this problem? At least it is still under warranty.

I too had mine out to the range today. I had the bolt pretty wet -maybe too wet or too thick lube - I may experiment with some lighter lubes or even a dry lube). A couple times I noticed that if I would drop the mag it would fire - so I am going to look more closely there. The trigger is odd on these IMHO. Not sure when I will get back to test more. :-(

Took the gun apart this morning. Behind the squared of engagement face of the firing pin; the rear sloping portion of the firing pin is kind of rough. The metal is actually somewhat concave. And there are some rough spots on the side of the firing pin where it slopes back to the rear of the bolt. Should i smooth out the bottom and side of the firing pin? On any other gun I would do this without thinking twice; but I don't want to void my warranty. It would be great to get this thing running and avoid mailing it to Kahr Arms.

Sounds like the firing pin engagement on the sear is just a little excessive. Taking off a little bit will probably fix it. Too much though and you get out of battery firing...

These are very rough cut parts. I think in the past they were punch cut. Maybe something else now. Polishing the surfaces is always helpful on function.

I'm going to call Auto Ordnance tommorow and see what they say. I'm leery of doing anything that may void the warranty. Today I was messing with the gun again. When the trigger does no release the firing pin; I noticed that pushing the trigger forward hard, would make a clicking noise. Then pulling the trigger would release the firing pin.

• 2 weeks later...
My gun showed up yesterday from AO. They replaced the disconnector sear and put in a upgraded bolt. The bolt now has a pinned extractor. The firing pin now releases every time I pull the trigger. I have only dry fired it though. What brand of 45 fmj is best for proper function in the semi auto Thompson?

I've also seen where the grip bolt threaded too far through its hole into the trigger area and interfered with operations. Something else to look for if you are trouble shooting.

isn't the front grip bolt different from the back grip bolt? I always keep them separate. Never measured them though.

• 1 year later...

I just got a new Tommy gun. I was excited cuz I have wanted one. Took it to the range yesterday for the first time. Total disappointment. I was prepared for the extreme force it takes to pull the bolt back, even prepared for the fail to feeds with the drum mag. Seems a common theme. Not prepared at all for the oddness. It will shoot 2-3 times and then nothing. Round in chamber, pulling the trigger feels and sounds like something is happening but no indent in primer. Occasionally it will fire sort of delayed, pull the trigger, wait a little and the firing pin releases and the round fires. It only seems to happen with the 50 round drum. The 20 round stick mag seems not to produce the same issue, although I only fired 40 rounds with it. Anyone else experience the same problem or have an explanation?