sweet baby Jesus..............

I put up with the problems with the Kahr Thompson for one reason ... To economically fill a spot in my WWII arms collection. While my weapon runs reasonably well, I would not want to bet my life on it. If I need a more tactical type weapon, I would select just about any other arm I have over a Kahr product ... Kind of like putting tactical furniture on an 1892 Winchester ... Some things are best left alone.

^^^this^^^. I wish they would address current issues with their guns instead of creating more. That thing looks like a Thompson and an AR15 on a diet of meth and vodka had a kid. Just saying!!!

Edited by lamellarllc

I certainly would not turn to this for all my self defense needs ;-)

I actually managed to slice my hand open on this or the 9mm, I dont recall which. I guess that general print note break all sharp edges was not adhered to so closely.

Ron

Edited by ron_brock

Sorry to say, it may actually be more accurate with the stock being in line with the bolt, rather than underneath. I suspect they came up with the AR stock adapter with eventual plans to release a "pistol" version of this, where you could attach a Shockwave Blade or SB Tactical brace.That being said, I do wish they'd stick to the classic models...and make sure they actually work.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

If they fixed reliabity issues and made it lighter it could appeal to the tacti cool crowd. Aluminum receiver perhaps ? My guess is it will flop.

I assumed they went with aluminum receiver just based on the top rail and color. It looks anodized to me rather than blued. And you dont really hear about companies making huge receivers and covers with pic rails in steel. They're pretty much always aluminum.

I think they will have to up their reliability first. There's no shortage of threads on here with feeding issues, dented bolts due to the bolt slamming on sideways rounds, and broken firing pins.

The biggest competitor for this on the market would be ARs in 9mm or 45, whichever caliber AO goes with. Those are already running like sewing machines. There's video of the faxon one running full auto for 45 minutes straight. They were trying to kill the gun, but ran out of ammo before the gun broke. Reliability, easily user-serviced, better ergonomics, cheaper and readily available magazines. AO has an uphill battle on their hands.

IMO, AO needs to drop the price waaaay down. I'd buy a pistol-length model of one of these tacticool ones around $650. Maybe $700. Once you get up to $700, you're competing with guns which have actual police and military pedigrees. $750, I'll run a CZ scorpion. Over $1k, you can get an mp5 built on licensed HK tooling in a factory thats made them for decades for armed forces.

Edited by giantpune

As much as I dislike the AR type platform you are right. With one lower you can swap out uppers to many calibers. The AR type is a bit more ergonomic than what this Franken Thompson appears to be.

Of course you cannot use an ultra cool 50 or 100 shot Tommy gun drum in an AR...……..

As much as I dislike the AR type platform you are right. With one lower you can swap out uppers to many calibers. The AR type is a bit more ergonomic than what this Franken Thompson appears to be.

Of course you cannot use an ultra cool 50 or 100 shot Tommy gun drum in an AR...……..

There were some AR-15s put together that use Thompson stick mags. The base firearm was the Cav Arms AR one-piece body which had a magwell that was wide enough to accept Thompson mags, and IIRC, Hahn made the magwell adapter.

I've seen discussions about side feed, downward eject (Sten like) AR uppers for Thompson stick mags, but I don't recall any being made. And in a similar vein, I've seen discussions about MAC 10 and/or 11/9 uppers that would use drum as well as stick Thompson mags, but I don't recall any being made.

Be well.

To me the whole reason to own and shoot a Tommy Gun is that it looks like and functions like a Tommy Gun, PERIOD :excl:

Thumbs down :P on any modification that alters the appearance or function of this fine ole' piece of American History :excl:

Just my 2 cents worth...

:rolleyes: :D

• 2 weeks later...

No real appeal to me. Personally, I think AO would have a bigger market if they marketed thier current Thompson Pistol with a brace, or made one with a brace of the M1 pattern. It would still look odd compared to a standard Thompson, but it would have more appeal than trying to compete with ARs that can be bought / built for a fraction of the price of a Thompson, run reliably, and can be easily fixed / modified if they don't run right or you want something different.