Selector Lock

billie32

Another problem with M14s in the F/A mode (or semi, for that matter) is exceeding the recommended rate of fire. Check FM 23-8, P. 5 for the numbers. Exceeding the published rates can cause severe overheating. Before I knew this, I probably greatly exceeded the recommended rates on my first trip to the range. The result was considerable smoke from the walnut stock, with scorching and charring.

The M14's provisions for air cooling are poor, at best, made worse by the second type of fiberglass handguard which does not have cooling slots. I now have the earlier type of slotted handguard on my rifle. Sight picture distortion due to rising heat is not the promlem that you might think. This was not the reason that the slotted handguards were replaced originaly, but rather due to their fragile nature. If the rifle is not abused, I've found the slotted handguard to be plenty tough and durable, as well as very good looking.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've got 2 chicom M14 rifles and a chicom M14/S. I don't shoot any of them very much. My FN/FAL select fire is just so damn much more fun and 100% more accurate on FA!!!

The M14 in both standing and setting positions is all but uncontrollable past 2 rds! The FN/FAL on the other hand is accurate to a 4 rd burst - I seem to always get a flyer on #5.

I'm sure there are a few who can control the 14 on FA, but I have yet to meet one of them. I'm sure as hell not one of them and I shoot a Lot of FAs! The 14 on FA is a worthless POS! That was why the lock was developed - AND used, because the troops couldn't keep their shots inside & under the top of the berms!

Sarge

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've got 2 chicom M14 rifles and a chicom M14/S. I don't shoot any of them very much. My FN/FAL select fire is just so damn much more fun and 100% more accurate on FA!!!

The M14 in both standing and setting positions is all but uncontrollable past 2 rds! The FN/FAL on the other hand is accurate to a 4 rd burst - I seem to always get a flyer on #5.

I'm sure there are a few who can control the 14 on FA, but I have yet to meet one of them. I'm sure as hell not one of them and I shoot a Lot of FAs! The 14 on FA is a worthless POS! That was why the lock was developed - AND used, because the troops couldn't keep their shots inside & under the top of the berms!

Sarge

Would you shoot a hundred rounds FA rifle for rifle ?

Edited by hagar

Sarge

I already have an FAL but it would be nice to have another . By the way, I am only jokeing, the FAL is a great weapon .

Edited by hagar