Boy Scouts And Subguns.......

about seven young guys and a young gal....

A little lesson on legal MG ownership, a quick lesson on open-bolt guns and safe operation, a little history lesson about John Thompson and his guns, a bit on my S&W76 and then.......

I set the hook!!

They each loaded and fired ten rounds in each gun. Some of the comments were "Whoa", "Way cool", "Awesome" and "Oooh!!"

At least two said they wanted to own machineguns sometime in their lives, and they all agreed that they would want to do it again soon!!

And they all liked the finale....an "L"-drum dump!!

guns ran like champs and the day was beautiful!!

Is this a great country or WHAT??

Scouter john

John:

Give yourself a pat on the back. I guarantee you those people talked about that the rest of the day. Good to see someone casting "sport" a good light. Thanks

Great job John. You should have shot some video of it. This type of thing should be done more often other than teachers and EVIL politicians telling our youth that , "guns are baaad."

Thanks for all the kind words.

When I was a Scout we only shot .22 rifles, and nowadays the regular Scouts still only do .22 and shotgun, but the Venture crews and Explorer posts (unisex) are into all kinds of cool stuff!

If anyone knows of any kid with a bit of free time, get them into Scouts....one of the all-time great organizations!

Hmmm.......maybe a pumpkin shoot next time??

john

John, You are a credit to the board & shootin sports, I am amazed that you dont have some lily livered liberals all over you for subjecting "children" to such behavior.

I teach Firearms/Hunters safety as a volunteer for the State of Minnesota also.....couple classes a year. We bring out all our fun stuff and let the kids shoot whatever they'd like (sans class 3 as our club limits that to members only). I'm always looking for free or cheap ammo at gun shows for the kids to shoot!

DNR says we can only let the kids shoot .22, so when they are done with that, we dismiss them, then ask them to stay as guests of the club!

We bring out Garands, M1 Carbines, varmint rifles, Mini14s, Ar15s, AKs and a variety of handguns. We always have several extra instructors there on range day and really stress safety to the max.

The kids have a BALL and I'm sure we convert a couple of anti-Assault rifle type parents every year to pros! Once you show them that there is no difference between a Remington 7400 and an AK47 and let them shoot both, they finally believe you!

john

Don’t forget the girls. One of the most rewarding outings planned by a young women’s organization (12-18 yr.) included myself and the scouts. The girls and their leaders wanted to shoot so we set up 2 training /safety meetings and took them to the range. It was a memorable time as most all had never fired a gun before. No automatics, but they did very well with the 22’s we took.

The response was very positive and I’d like to think there are some potential shooting partners for the young fellers coming up.

Women are ½ the population, let’s not leave ‘um out of “our” sport.

Just a bit to add to that, PK. One of my good friends at my gunclub is a fellow instructor who is not a fellow! Teresa has been teaching gun safety for a few years now, after her stint as VP of our gun club. She teaches the Eddie Eagle program in Elementary schools that she can get into. She also went through NRA trainer training with me and now teaches Concealed carry certification classes (my certificate came fron her!)

Every year we do a couple classes that she titles "Introduction to Firearms for Women". Basically, two evenings with history, types and operation, safety and loading drills. Then more safety and sightimg (marksmanshop). Then on Saturday (range day) we do the same thing....bring out all our stuff and help the ladies (and quite a few teen girls with their moms) dump a few thousand rounds downrange!

There are several of us guys who help her out every year and its lots of fun!

We've gotten several new mwmbers (female) in our club since we started doing this.

john