If Colt Made The 21a Today?

with all the new steel's. c.n.c.machines.engraving and stamping..and some nice wood............. what do you think it would cost????

and the charge for the gun on the retail market??

{that of course means,the law would be> we still could buy them as a commercial product}

and do you really feel with all the new technology..and the workers today..............they would still be as nice???

i only expect to get a few responses to this post anyhow..fire away with your best............wink!!! take care,ron

Just a guess on my part based on what I've seen of the Winchesters that have been revived. I'd guess $3,000 to $3,500.

My idea is that Colt would indeed be making them. I'd guess maybe $3K retail for a 1921A model, and maybe $2800 for 1928AC; $2600 for M1A1. Hey, I'd move back to a Class 3 state and buy one! But...oh no....THOMPSON GREED! It wouldn't take long for that to set in at the dealer level, right?

It's fun to dream, ain't it?

If Colt made the 1921 Thompson today, it would be in their Custom Shop. Since a new Colt SAA runs about $1,300 - $1,500 retail, I'd guess the price of a 1921 to be at least $7,000 retail, probably more. Estimate based on a guess of about five times the amount of surface area to be polished on a 1921 versus a SAA.

QUOTE (Ron Mills @ May 15 2004, 01:08 PM)
My idea is that Colt would indeed be making them. I'd guess maybe $3K retail for a 1921A model, and maybe $2800 for 1928AC; $2600 for M1A1. Hey, I'd move back to a Class 3 state and buy one! But...oh no....THOMPSON GREED! It wouldn't take long for that to set in at the dealer level, right?

It's fun to dream, ain't it?

yep $3,500.00 would be nice, then i can order a rack of them say about twelve.all with nice serial number's...........we can dream the good life..........oh! and its good to have you back ron..............i figured one of my wacko posts would get you back...............wink!!!

i can see the colt brochure now a classic!!!{even the kahr arms one is not bad..........}at least they gave it some thought..............take care,ron

I think the initial demand would be pushing the price really high for the first few years of production, but once sales level off i would have to say 2-3K, but there are too many factors and variants.

For what I hear, M-16s actually sell for just a few hundred to law enforcement and that would equate to about $2K max for civilians. Now the semi-auto Thompson are about $700-$800. So, figure what an extra $200 in parts and labor to convert to full auto??? So, just for some minor changes they would easily make an extra $500-$800 profit.

No educated buyer would buy one and pay any premium just because it has the word COLT on the side. Colt didn't invent them, they just reproduced them like McGuire and Trast did. McGuire did a better job than colt did, but that’s a different story entirely.

Oh... Sorry, I just reread that this thread was talking about modern day production of a Thompson. Opps,...

what I wrote fits either time period.

Jr

QUOTE (John Jr @ May 15 2004, 09:51 PM)
No educated buyer would buy one and pay any premium just because it has the word COLT on the side. Colt didn't invent them, they just reproduced them like McGuire and Trast did. McGuire did a better job than colt did, but that’s a different story entirely.

Oh... Sorry, I just reread that this thread was talking about modern day production of a Thompson. Opps,...

what I wrote fits either time period.

Jr

its all fantasy anyhow colt ain't making squat........and thats the name of that tune.....................ron

whether now or then or future space...............

If 21s,28s,A1s,etc. keep climing in price at the current pace...some corporate genius will figure out how to bring the goods to market...just takes money and know how...payoff the right politicians and anything is possible...this America...land of opportunity...are you listening Colt?out. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

It depends on how many they were making at the time! If new MGs couild be sold to the public in great quantity, they could probably retail for $3,000 or so using programmed CNC equipment, mass production techniques, etc. If they indeed come out of the Custom Shop on a more limited basis, I agree that they would be $7,000 or so.

I belive Colt could put the 21 back onto the market for under 2grand if they could produce them. (hopefuly with a better rear sight) Another company could probably get away with it for under a grand per copy. The problem is Colt's run UAW shop. IMHO labor unions got greedy and cut too much out of the manufactures pockets, and let some people get TOO "f"ing lazy.

Fact, I know that several compays like Deere the operators of CNC's have seats and can sit down on the job! thank you labor unions, I also know some of the manufactures send gages to their supliers that are marked a certian size and folowed by a couple of X's. One must run these parts small as parts made to the print at the mean of the tolerances will not fit. and they have never sent parts .001" undersize back ever.

CNC could make the Thompson better than the 40's and cheaper than Khar is selling semi copys of inconsistant quality.

just my .02

PS, I make parts for Armalite and Rock River Arms in adition to tractor parts guys.

The most fascinating thing about the UAW is that the "leadership" of the UAW (and the other unions too) support gun registration, bans etc. So, Colt, Smith&Wesson (UAW I think?) and other manufacturers that depend on Union laborers to make and assemble their firearms, are always getting screwed by the Unions (unless deals are being made!)