1921 Colt Barrel ID

Hi Joseph,

There is not much info on Colt Thompson No 423 in Tracie Hills book American legend. However, the barrel Number looks like 423 from your photos.

423 prior to April 15 1922 Prod Letter.

428 was an Eastside Thompson --- 5/18/21 Amer. Rail Exp. Co., N.Y. G.G Rorke

I hope this info helps but perhaps someone else can tell you more.

Regards,

D

Edited by 765 21D

The front sight is definitely Colt era. The fin radius looks correct for s/n range. The number stamping looks to be correct. Does it have a witness mark? Pictures are bit out of focus but I'm fairly confident it's a 21 barrel. Edited by 1921A

Joe,

Stick it in a gallon zip lock baggy and hose down with some CLP. Forget about it for a while and then wipe it down with a clean cloth. It may take a lot of the surface grime and oxidation off. It looks like it was stored dry for a good while. That barrel is a nice piece to hang onto as you realistically should always be able to get your purchase price, hopefully more, out of it if you need to. Or add to a Colt to help its value if is has a damaged on unoriginal barrel.

My .02.

TC

Edited by ThompsonCrazy

Colt Thompson NO 423 is/was an interesting gun. No one really knows what became of it. Board members will note that Gordon Herigstad's book, Colt Thompson Serial Numbers, is often cited on this forum. Given its cost and small printing, most members will not acquire it for their library. I thought some may enjoy seeing a picture of the inside information of Gordon's book pertaining to NO 423.

NO 423.jpg

Unfortunately, all that is known about NO 423 is provided. It is anyone's guess as to what actually happened with this Thompson. You may want to reach out to Gordon and see if he has any additional information as I do not have the latest version of his book. He may be interested to know you have the barrel for NO 423. Gordon can be reached at: http://thompsonaccessories.com/

Let us know if you find out any additional information.

Hi All

Gordon does not have any additional info, in his opinion the gun never shipped as there is no additional history on it.

I am trying to get more info from the seller to see how far we can track it backwards in time..

No history is a very interesting history to me :unsure: !!!

There are a lot of possibilities. It could have been a reject gun that was never corrected. Or a test piece that was pulled from the line, tested extensively, and later found its way out the "back door" of the Colt factory. The contract called for 15,000 guns to be manufactured; apparently each gun was billed separately according to serial number. If the production numbers did not equal exactly15,000 at the end, AOC was probably all to glad to take a few less since most of the Thompson production was sitting in storage at the Colt factory with little prospect for a big sale. CAVEAT: This is all just speculation on my part. Let us know what you can find out. Interesting stuff for sure!

I ended up with the other barrel pictured above with no sight, Prasser included a note with it stating it was one of 10 Colt parts kits that was imported from

El Salvador around 10 years ago.

I didn't relize that it had an "Extra pin grove", All in all it is in nice shape and the rifling is above average.