How Can u tell if WH 1928 is in or out of spec?

Hello ALL

A WH which i bought for resale shoots as good or better than any 28a1 that I have shot so far !!

There werer zero malfuctions before the two piece buffer pilot broke and none after replacement.

I cant believe i didnt know about the danger of the buffer pilot in the WH28. I replaced it and the other parts are GI
except the actuator which i ordered.
I Have heard if the frame is out of spec, it can get ruined
through wear. How can I tell if its within proper speceifications?
Thanks for any input on this

I think it is safe to say they are all "out of spec" to some extent or another. My TF series (very late and rushed) production model shot fine. IIRC, the main issue I had was the drum, not the gun. But I sent it to PK anyway and all manner of adjustments were made. The receiver was warped, the Blish ramps way off. A few other minor issues. I mainly was after cosmetics.

I've not heard (that I recall) ruining one that shoots fine, except for perhaps cracking the rear of the upper. You might invest in an upgraded buffer system. I think PK makes these?

As far as how you know, I doubt there is any real way to do this yourself? Maybe there are others than know what to check or measure, but I'd think you'd have to have all the numbers to compare with first.

R

GG, I wouldn't get overly worried. You seem to have replaced internal parts to GI spec and after that if the gun shoots great I think it will be fine. Don't fix what's not broken.

MH

GG, I wouldn't get overly worried. You seem to have replaced internal parts to GI spec and after that if the gun shoots great I think it will be fine. Don't fix what's not broken.

MH

Exactly! It's an open bolt low power SMG. As long as the bolt slams a cartridge in the chamber, it fires, and the bolt doesn't come back and slam the back of the receiver you're good. It is really that simple. "specs." really don't mean anything. Plenty of guns are "in spec" and don't work because of simple parts fit or breakage, having nothing to do with the receiver dimensions.

The first Thompson I had was a WH and it ran fine, shot it, cleaned it, and eventually sold it. Never stuck a dime in it or fixed anything, one of the few SMG's that came in ready to shoot. Was it dimensionally as tight as my bridgeport, probably not, but my Stens aren't nearly as dimensionally as tight as my MP5's, but the Stens are FAR more reliable than an MP5.

With the buffer and the pilot, you always see the buffer installed on the short end . Sometimes i will take apart a 1928 and see the buffer on the long end of the pilot shaft. Maybe the previous owner felt that it would cushion the rearward travel of the bolt. Anyone help out here and comment as to what might go wrong?