World War Ii Photos

For those of you who like to look at WWII photos, this is an invitation to visit a web site I've dedicated to the 85th Combat Engineer Heavy Ponton Battalion. I've posted in the photo albums of this site some 150 never before published photos of soldiers, photos which portray the everyday existance of these WWII heroes (along with some captured photos of the enemy). These aren't combat shots, and sorry, but there are no pics of Thompsons (there are a few carbines and higher caliber ordnance). What you see here is the training, the bordom of camp life, and the bridge sites where sheer terror occured during enemy assaults and shellings. These Engineers had to build the bridges that put the front line soldiers across the rivers. They had to incur the enemy's wrath without the satisfaction of returning the favor. Bridge building is tough enough work, but try it while dodging snipers bullets and 88 artillary. They didn't enjoy the accolades afforded the infantry, but without their bridges and assault boats the infantry would be stuck on the river bank. The 85th landed in North Africa in 1943, and over the next two years fought the enemy from Italy to France, and Germany. They went the "whole nine yards" of the ETO. They deserve some recognition. Hope you enjoy it. I am presently in the process of contacting as many of this unit as I can for interviews. These are also being posted to the web site. Sadly, many are already gone and I didn't get the chance to thank them personally, but I can posthumosly through this site. To visit just search 85th Engineers on yahoo or google.

Great Site and lots of information. Thanks, so much, for sharing!

My grandfather was in the 85th infantry division, Custer Division. I have his book that was given to them after the war. It is very fragile and I hate to try to read it in fear of tearing the pages. It's called "Minturno to the Appennines". Very interesting.