History of the 20rd magazine?

I know the 20rd mags were the first type of mag. Then the 30rd mags were issued starting in 1941. Were the 20rd mags manufactured through and after WWII? When did the 20rd mag production stop?

Design of the 30 rounder started in late '41 . Design was approved in early '42 , contracts awarded in mid-spring , and production started by June / July-ish '42.

The 20s were made till the end of '42 as contracts were filled . I believe the last 20 rd contract was made June-ish of '42 as the 30s came on line . They prob'ly didn't want unforseeable problems to pop up and they be caught short of mags . AAMOF , the early Crosby 30 rd mags would not fit the M1 . Luckily a cheep / fast modification was found to cure the problem .

Chris

It is astonishing to me how many magazines they made. Here we are almost 75 years later

and magazines are readily available - and don't forget that there are 1000's of collectors in

Europe and elsewhere yet there is no shortage of mags. Yes, the prices have gone up, but

that is to be expected.

Bob

It was the same with 30 carbine mags and there are a lot more of them in shooter's hands than Thompsons . We are just now running out of them and repros are being made of the 15 rounder in only the last few years .It has been guessed by those who deal in such things that they contracted a 100 mag case for every carbine . I wonder where the Thompsons and BARs stand in comparison ?

Chris

I'll bet UZIs have among the highest mag / gun ratio.

I bought new in the wrap military production UZI mags from Numrich last year for $10 each

They are still selling the UZI in semi-auto form and yet the mag supply seems inexhaustible.

You can get excellent 25 round UZI mags for $7 or $8 each

Also, the real IMI UZI mag is actually an excellently designed and made mag, they seem almost indestructible and rarely cause jams.

The British wished to continue with getting XX magazines, and said so when they were informed in Dec 41 that the XXX type would be coming. They were not happy when they learned in April '41 that production of the XX was coming to an end, and hoped to get the remaining stock of them.