Colt M28 Overstamp SN 15015 found in Costa Rica

I received an email from a guy in Costa Rica asking if Colt Thompson 15015 could be brought back to the USA. He was a bit disappointed to find out that it really isn't possible. At any rate here are some pictures he sent. It is interesting to see that the lower does not match as it is SN 14317. The gun looks a bit rough and the wood is not all Colt.

photo 1.JPG

photo 1a.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 2b.JPG

photo 3a.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG

photo 6.JPG

photo 7.JPG

photo 8.JPG

photo 9.JPG

photo 10.JPG

photo 11.JPG

photo 12.JPG

photo 12a.JPG

photo 13.JPG

photo 14.JPG

photo 15.JPG

photo 16.JPG

As a matter of curiosity, what do you guys think the value of this gun would be if it

was already in this country and transferable? At what point is the fact that it is a

Colt overcome by the horrible condition? I think this gun has less value than a nice

WH....

Bob

I believe it would bring between $28,000 to $33,000 to an advanced collector. If complete and matching, definitely $35,000 plus. If complete, matching and in 95% plus condition...I would want to be at the auction!

Beyond rough, I'd say!

The markings in photo #2 look to be engraved rather than factory roll marked.

I'll bet that this piece has an interesting history! Thanks for posting this.

The gun is interesting, but in the photos, it does not look "right". The markings do not look roll marked as noted, wood is not contoured right ( may be lighting or replacement wood) and the finish does not look "right" for the condition of the rest of the gun. It would be very interesting to have someone who actually knew Colt guns get a chance to handle and inspect the gun. I am sure it would have an interesting story to tell if it could talk......

Two different threads on the same subject.

No, the roll-mark doesn't look quite "right".

The compensator is un-pinned and screwed on too far.

The barrel might unscrew by hand. It would be interesting to remove the grip mount,

...and see if there's a serial number.... or an "R" ....under there....Phil

Looks like it wants to be a 21/28 overstamp.

But - Wouldn't those say US Navy on them as well?

I think overbuffing (looking at the lower - it was buffed and polished and reblued too) could cause the numbers to look like they do.

Would be an interesting story to know when and where this gun has been.

I agree, in a way it doesn't look "real". Too many weird things about it, as mentioned above. You fellers out there with AT I & II, look up what serial numbers the 28s started with (I'm at sea with no books). There's no overstamp mark on this gun, so that adds to the mystery.