Paint Removal

Hi Everyone,

I picked up some Crosbey XXX's for a good price this weekend at a gun show, they fit and run fine, only one cevat. Some dolt spray painted them green. Where the mags have rubbed together and my careful scraping with a popscicle stick has revealed a nice dullite blue underneath. I'm wondering if anyone knows if paint thinner (accitone) would strip the blue off with the paint or any alternate methods anyone has has that I could give a try.

Thanks,

BB

The newer paint strippers seem to not bother bluing; try some on the inside to be sure and if all is well, strip the green junk off.

Be careful with paint strippers. read the label. They usually won't hurt anything, but if they are caustic base, they can affect the blue. Paint strippers that are alcohol/methylene chloride/ acetone base are fine (most current strippers are OK).

Nonpolar solvents like acetone will work fine.

But be aware that they also remove all grease and oil, so once you are done, pour oil liberally over the metal parts and let the oil settle in for a few hours.

I once painted my C&R STEn MkII floral pink, and when I was done with that color, I used a few cans of Berryman B-12 carb and choke cleaner to remove the paint.

Doug

If the paint is some type of enamel it's likely that acetone or laquer thinner will remove it quite easily. These chemicals shouldn't harm the blueing.; I've used them successfully as degreasers and dryers without problem on blued magazines.

If the paint is latex, then it will be much harder to remove. Acetone and laquer thinner won't touch it. Even the stronger caustic/chemical paint removers can have trouble with latex paint. Heating latex paint will soften it as long as the heat is being applied and it can be scrapped or rubbed off in this state, which might not be practical in this case. However, heating latex paint to the softening point, and then letting it cool, partially destroys the integrity of the paint and might make it easier to chemically strip afterwards.