What's Wrong With My Thompson?

I have a 1927 A3 Thompson .22lr. It hadn't been fired for at least 5 years when it was finally taken to the range last month. After shooting about 150 rounds through it, the charging handle stopped working. It's been taken apart and cleaned...but the charging handle still won't work. I can pull it back about an inch, at which point it just stops and feels like it's hitting against something. What the heck is wrong with it...and, how much is it going to cost me to fix it?

Thanks for the help.

I had a similar problem, only it was almost impossible to take apart. When I finally got it apart and put it together it seemed to work ok. I know that if you recently modified your mag catch and the mag sits too high, it will keep the bolt from retracting smoothly. Has your gun been modified or parts replaced recently? Wished I could be more helpful.

This happened to me once before after replacing all my lower internals.

Man, did I freak http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif thinking may have to break something in order to get it free. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif

After calming down, I figured the only item that would be causing the problem (in my scenario) is the lower internals. As a result, I removed the pivot plate, safety and selector switch which essentially freed all the lower internals. I was then able to rattle the actuator free which allowed by to remove the lower and reattach all the parts. After that it worked fine.

Not sure if your issue is related, but this may help (i hope).

Good luck.