Strange Marked 1928a1

I received a telephone call last night from a fellow New Zealand Thompson collector requesting help with a strangly marked 1928A1

The gun is definitely a 28A1 but "the model of 1928" stamp above the serial number is compleatly missing. The serial number is simply SN 1108. There is no AO for Auto Ord or S for Savage. He sent me a photo but I cant post it as I have all ready packed my laptop for my trip to day to the SAR show, but I have printed a copy of the photo and will have it with me at the Show next week if any one is interested.

Can any one help

Hi Murray,

The serial number range of the gun you describe would be in the correct range for Colt made guns, but the serial number sould read NO 1108. Not, SN 1108. If the gun has markings elsewhere that indicates the receiver is a correct Auto-Ordnance contracted receiver, then it sounds to me like the model designation was removed for some reason and the gun was possibly restamped with a new serial number.

Sounds interesting. Post pictures when you can or let us know what you find out about the gun at the SAR show when you return.

• 1 month later...

Hi Murray,

Did you obtain any additional information on this particular Thompson? Is it possible it could be from the Savage contract that called for the production of 50,000 Thompsons without the S prefix before the serial number? See Page 175 of Tracie's Book. I have never seen a Savage Thompson without the S prefix. This could be very interesting. If possible, could you post a picture(s) or send me a picture via e-mail. Thanks, Tom