Colt 1921 Parts Kit? Value?

Hello. I'm new to the board but I've browsed postings for years as the site is a wealth of knowledge regarding TSMG's. A friend of mine recently inherited what appears to be an authentic 1921A parts kit from her father who was huge collector of Colt, Winchester, CMP, and U.S. Military firearms. She will eventually be looking to sell it but in the meantime I figured I would help her do the legwork of trying best to authenticate it and factor a fair selling price for her. I have a local guy who is a resident authority on TSMG's and he is pretty certain the parts are genuine but he and I differ greatly on potential value. I was hoping to get a second opinion to both from the national level resident authority of the members of this board. Unfortunately the parts kit does not have any provenance to it. The best my friend could tell me was that her father has had the parts as long as she can remember and they were always kept together and separate from the rest of his collection.

The link below is for a google photos album that I created with angled pictures of the parts that I believe would help with identification. I figured it would be cleaner to post the album link instead of linking or uploading 40+ individual photos. If there are any other photos or angles needed please let me know and I'll be happy to take and post them.

Thank you in advance for any help that you can give regarding.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qYd1pd8dXhck9SUz7

Beautiful parts kit and yes they sure do look Colt to me. Value....whatever the insanity of the market will bare. Could be $8k-$18k or more. All depends on how stupid someone wants to be.

Be ready for your PM box to explode with people wanting to buy.....

Beautiful parts kit and yes they sure do look Colt to me. Value....whatever the insanity of the market will bare. Could be $8k-$18k or more. All depends on how stupid someone wants to be.

Be ready for your PM box to explode with people wanting to buy.....

Got Uzi,

Thank you for taking the time to overlook the pictures and give me your analysis on them.

My friend is at the beginning stages of wading through a mountain of items that her father left her. She knows she has to start letting things go but is having a hard time getting to that point.

Put it on Gunbroker.com

I suspect you will get around $12K for it.

Good Luck

2t2,

Thank you for the suggestion. When she was ready to move on it I was thinking about going the Gunbroker route. I've sold a number of items through the site in the past with good results.

Welcome to the board. Great photos.

I agree with the above posts, but do consider listing it here first. We can run an auction too.

Let me know if I can help.

Tracie Hill

Tracie,

Thank you. I will definitely offer that option up for her consideration. I believe she also wants to make sure it will go to someone who will appreciate the history of it as much as her father did. I would imagine that would be the majority of those on this board.

Here is that is listed as history for 2427 from Gordons book

47CD43CD-AB08-4496-932C-1F93B3790ECB.jpeg

Ron

Ron,

Thank you! Im going to check with my friend to see if she can piece together any historical connection that her father may have had with the Sheriffs Department that explains how he might have ended up with it.

Welcome to the board. Great photos.

I agree with the above posts, but do consider listing it here first. We can run an auction too.

Let me know if I can help.

Tracie Hill

Tracie,

Thank you. I will definitely offer that option up for her consideration. I believe she also wants to make sure it will go to someone who will appreciate the history of it as much as her father did. I would imagine that would be the majority of those on this board.

The problem with Gunbroker.com is if you get a non-paying bidder good luck trying to get it resolved with Gunbroker.com. I recently had a non-paying bidder, and it took me over three months to get a credit for the fee and now the taxes that they charge to you on behalf of the "buyer." It took many, many emails to Gunbroker.com to resolve. They do not have a call center, so you cannot talk to anyone if there is an issue. The taxes alone on a high cost item make trying to get a credit especially painful. I'd use Sturmgewehr.com or this Board with permission.

I recall some prior posts on Colt parts kit, so if you search you may find some info that sheds some light on possible pricing. Maybe search for separate parts too like the Colt wood and Colt barrel.

Certainly, the fact that Tracie Hill will open this site up is noteworthy and this would be where the majority of COLT Thompson enthusiasts reside.

Plus all the folks here know that this is not an inexpensive item.

MSCinPA,

Thank you for posting about this Colt's parts kit. NO 2427 must have been an unregistered Colt Thompson, perhaps a donated or confiscated gun. One of the Colt's at the Harrison County Sheriff's Office in Cadiz, Ohio (NO 1254) was owned by a forum member. Perhaps, he can shed some lights on the Colt's in inventory at that department.

I am certain you will have some potential interested buyers on this forum. It would be interesting to know what your local expert thought this kit was worth.

The parts kit appears original but it is not complete. As stated above, the rear sight is missing. I also do not see an ejector; two very important parts that add a lot of value to any parts kit. While the wood is not pristine, it is very useable and will be a great selling point. I know of two forum members that are looking for a butt stock and a grip. It would not take long to find an interested third forum member for the fore grip. Absent excellent or a like new wood set, the most desirable and expensive piece in any parts kit is usually the barrel. Someone looking for an original Colt's barrel knows the pedigree of what they are purchasing with this barrel. Unlike a loose barrel on a Knob Creek table tagged as Colt's with a $3000 price tag. Reproductions abound in this area so knowing the provenance of a loose barrel is very important. Unfortunately, the pitting at the end of the barrel makes this barrel less desirable to most enthusiasts wanting to replace a bulged or ringed barrel in the 21A configuration. May I suggest you clean the inside of the barrel and inspect for any rings. Being able to warrant the absence of any rings (or slight bulges) will definitely be a good selling point. The early 21 actuator is also a very desirable piece.

I think 2t2 provided a good estimate of value, above. Of course, any sale on gunbroker involves fees. You may want to reach out to Tracie Hill, above, about a possible auction on this forum. Your friend has a prize. I would explore all options before deciding. I bet your PM mailbox contains a few offers :)

Sandman, Robert Henley, TD,

Thank you for your knowledge, input, and suggestions regarding the potential evaluation and route to take with its eventual sale.

I sent an inquiry this morning to the Harrison County Sheriff's Department in the hopes that they may have retained historical records or documents pertaining to #2427, how it was decommissioned and where it went after it left the Department's care. It would be a small miracle if the records remain after all this time and possibly a greater one for them to allow me access to them but I thought it my duty to, at least, try.

If the member that TD had mentioned who had purchased the Department's twin can fill any of the gaps that would be excellent. I will update the thread with the response received when I hear back from the Department.

I have received a number of messages from forum members regarding the purchase of the kit or components of it. They are all appreciated. In the end the final decision is not mine to make if or how the parts will be sold. At the very least I can assure the members of this board, who have been welcoming and most helpful, that I will give you full knowledge of the decision once it has been made. In my friend's case it may take a little time, though.

I can see if any of my old contacts at the Harrison County SO are still there.

Got Uzi,

I appreciate the sentiment and offer.

I know your time is important to you but if it only consists of burning an email or phone call that would be great.

Within the last several years I sold a M1921 actuator for $1000, a bolt for (I think) $500. I just sold a M1921 trigger

frame which did not have all Colt parts for $2,250. As I always say, the value of anything at any given time is what

someone is willing to pay for it. If you find a guy that broke his actuator or bulged his barrel, that guy has real incentive

to restore his $$$$ gun vs. a guy making a display. I have found Gunbroker to be a good place to sell. Just make sure

you get paid before you ship. I personally have had no problems with them.

Good luck with this!

Bob