It makes you want to cry

Later guns with secret serial number. Interesting

Jim,

The Savage and Auto-Ordnance 1928 Model guns all had the hidden number applied, similar to the Colt made guns.

Chuck, I did see a later AO receiver front chunk (IIRC) that had no number. I think they stopped it late in production.

Interesting, all the WWII front receiver pieces I have seen all have numbers. No S on the Savage pieces, AO prefaced number on the AO guns. Sure is wasn't an M1 receiver piece you saw?

Edited by gijive

I cannot find the pics now. I did post them years ago here, I will search for them.

OK - as usual my memory is not what it was. I found the pic (very out of focus) that I was thinking about. It shows 15043, under the grip mount (and there is no serial number). The other chunk shown does have the serial number.

GIJIVE, you are right as always!

grip numbers.jpg

GIJIVE, you are right as always!

Mike,

Thanks for the compliment, but I'm not always right. I've made my share of Thompson misstatements, based on assumptions, over the years. We can always learn something,

Maybe this old Panda's memory is starting to fail more often. They say memory is the second thing to fail... IIRC...

Actually I think I was confused with the practice of marking the frames... that was discontinued as the war progressed!