1928a1 Butt Plate Question

I have a butt plate which was on a GI stock for a 28A1 Thompson. It does not have any assembly numbers on it. The trapdoor plate is thinner than other trapdoor plates I have examined, and is not beveled. The hinge assemply is much simpler attached in 4 locations in a square pattern rather than the standard 3 points. Also the top portion of the plate which has the small screw hole, is a little bit shorter than the other butt plates I have looked at. Is this an after market or West H. butt plate, or possible a latter military contract?

Thanks Matt

My $.02 ...

The thing on Ebay, I don't believe is a 28 buttplate. Doesn't the plate on a 28 curve over the top of the stock and the upper screw enter vertically (SP)? I don't know M1's or the Enfield's ....

Whatever;

Hi,

I've owned several 1928 and M1/M1A1 butt stocks and butt plates over the years. The early type 1928 butt plates were milled and had a screw to hold the trap door spring in place. The later war 1928 type were stamped metal and had a spot welded arrangement to hold the spring in place. The butt plate shown on the Ebay auction is a later type stamped M1/M1A1 butt plate with a spot welded spring housing. This is the most common type M1/M1A1 butt plate. I have an early M1 butt plate that is actually milled like the earlier 1928 type.

The 1928 type you have with the spot welded spring housing is a later war type, most likely to be found on the reiniforced type 1928 butt stock. They are not West Hurley butt plates, although I'm sure that the West Hurley guns originally used the surplus stamped type butt plates.