My First MP43 / STG44

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colt Chopper, the code stampings and Waffenamts for the factory that assembled your MP43 are located on the underside of your receiver between the handguard and the magwell. Erma's code is AYF and their Waffenamt is WaA280.

post-260644-0-42708200-1572896268_thumb.jpg

Great stuff had a number of them serial #1944 went to Reed, It is probably still in his museum. and another mint matched one went to another guy in Florida.and another to Maryland and Texas.I never wanted a boat anchor redone model.That is why i probably only had five of them. They are the true Assault Rifle coined by Adolph. AS they say.WE might see them back in the u.s.a. again in 2020. in semi form again. Trying to get the MP-38 done first.

And the D.C. bull crap does not make it easy.RON K.

That looks like nice shooter gun. and would not bother me in the least to put many mags thru it.Heck maybe the last guy who did fought in the Bulge. or Hurtgen Forest. History at its Best.

Congrats Jack ! You will love it and good deal on the ammo. My first experience with their ammo wasn't good as I had a case separation on the 1st box I ran thru my MP43. PIA to remove but 100% since. I also reload for mine after scoring a few hundred primed PPU cases for less than $20/100. Enjoy !!

Corrosive ammo works just fine, but ALL other factors being equal why shoot it? No need to clean every time after shooting non-corrosive. And if you do shoot corrosive ammo you might miss a spot while cleaning leading to a rusted gun. I get that corrosive primers are stable and surplus corrosive ammo is often cheap. But I think John Baum said it best, if you bought a $250,000 sports car...would you then put the cheapest lowest grade gas you find into it?!?!

Nice. I'm waiting on one too. What brand of ammo do you plan on using?

PPU is the only commercial 8 mm Kurz new manufacture that is currently available in the US. Some original WW2 German ammo is out there and several counties including East Germany made some in the 1940s into the 1950s but all that stuff is corrosive so I'd avoid it.

The is absolutely no reason to avoid corrosive ammo if you clean you gun after shooting it. I also shoot MP-44, and each MP-43/44/StG-44 behaves a little differently with regard to mag compatibility and powder charge needed to cycle it properly. Mine is mag finicky (postwar East German 1001 marked mags won't work), but will take low power PPU rounds and cycle them just fine. A friend's MP-43 short cycles with it, occasionally having FTF's due to the weaker, shorter return stroke of the bolt/carrier, and needs slightly more powerful reloads to cycle reliably.

MP-44right.jpg

Very nice rifle, is the sling vintage?...did you make a you tube video firing it?? I watched your MP40 video many times while i was waiting for my stamp to come in a few years ago it is great.

Edited by Petroleum 1

PPU is the only commercial 8 mm Kurz new manufacture that is currently available in the US. Some original WW2 German ammo is out there and several counties including East Germany made some in the 1940s into the 1950s but all that stuff is corrosive so I'd avoid it.

The is absolutely no reason to avoid corrosive ammo if you clean you gun after shooting it. I also shoot MP-44, and each MP-43/44/StG-44 behaves a little differently with regard to mag compatibility and powder charge needed to cycle it properly. Mine is mag finicky (postwar East German 1001 marked mags won't work), but will take low power PPU rounds and cycle them just fine. A friend's MP-43 short cycles with it, occasionally having FTF's due to the weaker, shorter return stroke of the bolt/carrier, and needs slightly more powerful reloads to cycle reliably.

MP-44right.jpg

Very nice rifle, is the sling vintage?...did you make a you tube video firing it?? I watched your MP40 video many times while i was waiting for my stamp to come in a few years ago it is great.

I made a short video of this gun firing on my YT site, but that was before it was repaired to fully functional. I really should make a new video of this rifle and post it. This was a botched REWAT in which the bolt was too sloppy in its guide surfaces, causing lots of FTF's and FTE's. My friend Troy Ess did a spectacular job laying down some new metal on the guide surface opposite the ejection port, and carefully filing the metal until the bolt fit perfectly and was correctly trapped between the guides. Troy has lots of experience making chopped and cut MP-43/44/StG-44 parts guns into working rifles. We both examined this one against ones in his collection and discovered the source issues causing the failures. An MP-44 which failed every three rounds now runs at 99.6% reliability, better than some untouched examples. The sling is repro, well used in reenactment and decently made. The like-new appearance of the sling matched the refinished appearance of the rifle. A few people actually mistook this rifle for a new PTR-44. Guns in original finish command more collector value, but properly refinished guns are better protected against corrosion and I actually prefer them, as long as machining marks and metal texture are not wiped out in the process. You can shoot refinished and preserved guns without that guilt you feel when shooting an antique after a little wear appears on the bluing.

My Haenel MP43 sn 6291b with a 10 round mag

Cool! Now youve got me wanting a 10 round mag for mine!

Hi Mike...D-K productions sells the repro 10 round mags for $105

Vin

Where can i find these? I searched all over Google and can not find what you are talking about. I'm good with reproduction magazine.

MP-44right.jpg

I made a short video of this gun firing on my YT site, but that was before it was repaired to fully functional. I really should make a new video of this rifle and post it. This was a botched REWAT in which the bolt was too sloppy in its guide surfaces, causing lots of FTF's and FTE's. My friend Troy Ess did a spectacular job laying down some new metal on the guide surface opposite the ejection port, and carefully filing the metal until the bolt fit perfectly and was correctly trapped between the guides. Troy has lots of experience making chopped and cut MP-43/44/StG-44 parts guns into working rifles. We both examined this one against ones in his collection and discovered the source issues causing the failures. An MP-44 which failed every three rounds now runs at 99.6% reliability, better than some untouched examples. The sling is repro, well used in reenactment and decently made. The like-new appearance of the sling matched the refinished appearance of the rifle. A few people actually mistook this rifle for a new PTR-44. Guns in original finish command more collector value, but properly refinished guns are better protected against corrosion and I actually prefer them, as long as machining marks and metal texture are not wiped out in the process. You can shoot refinished and preserved guns without that guilt you feel when shooting an antique after a little wear appears on the bluing.

What is Troy's contact information? I may need to have him work on my bolt like he did yours.

Mike

MP-44right.jpg

What is Troy's contact information? I may need to have him work on my bolt like he did yours.

Mike

I would like Troys contact info too. My gun runs great but i plan on buying another one soon and who knows how it will run...thx

Troy is a great guy. The 3 original finish/ matching numbers Sturms in my collection have all been purchased from Troy. He has a fantastic Sturm collection and he's very knowledgeable on the subject. Todd in Oregon

Mike...here is the website link.

https://www.dkproductiongroup.com/

Thank you!

Does anyone know of a place that makes reproductions of the MP44 flash hiders too?

Mike

MP-44's were never issued with flash hiders. The ones that used to show up on eBay are postwar fantasy pieces. Nazis didn't have elf ears either. Yeah, they LOOK cool, but they didn't... :D

Edited by DARIVS

Oh I didnt know that. Thanks.

Mike

Mike...here is the website link.

https://www.dkproductiongroup.com/

Thank you!

Does anyone know of a place that makes reproductions of the MP44 flash hiders too?

Mike

MP-44's were never issued with flash hiders. The ones that used to show up on eBay are postwar fantasy pieces. Nazis didn't have elf ears either. Yeah, they LOOK cool, but they didn't... :D