Reising Firing Pin Update

I had reported in an earlier thread about my 4th firing pin failure, so I decided to make a new pin using the boss of an original pin and silver soldering part of a (similar) BAR pin to it. I went to visit a gunsmith/C2 mfg friend some of you may know, Tony Veronesi. I told him of my plan. He said it would be better to make a new one out of a piece of bar stock. He said the problem with the pins (in his opinion) the original and aftermarket pins have the capability to extend too far out of the bolt face, possibly through inertia. SO he made me a pin that CANNOT extend past .045" out of the bolt face. We shot a hundred rounds just to make sure it worked.

I also bought a titanium pin but an inquiry of their reliability varied so I'll try Tony's pin, I'll keep you posted.

Reising pin.jpg

Six pins. One is titanium (the one in the white). All are a little different. At least one original and a couple are keystone.

The original has the beveled retaining pin slot. I would measure but I can't find my good calipers

post-212363-0-01112700-1561517969_thumb.jpg

Edited by n64atlas

Keystone has changed their pin design since you bought yours. Instead of a taper, it's now a more conventional stepped designattachicon.gif IMG_20190626_123329628.jpg

That is the kind I bought from Joe, any experience on the life of this design?

The one I had made has a longer "collar" and the pin is shorter making it impossible to extend any further than .045".

Seeing how the "inertia" pin concept works, perhaps that is causing pins that extend too far and break.

If you have not seen the inertia idea it's on this site.

http://www.machinegu...?showtopic=8854

Not enough mileage on my Keystone pin yet to render a verdict but I can see two advantages to the stepped design:

1. Better control of the pin diameter where it fits the hole in the bolt face
  2. Much easier to manufacture and inspect.

I haven't converted my gun to a floating firing pin yet, I'm trusting in my Wolff spring kit to prevent the cartridge/pin jams. So far it has done so.

• 1 year later...