My New Herigstad Thompson Viola Case

The case I built will safely and sturdily hold a loaded 30rnd mag and 20 in the ammo box and all the accoutrements without any problems. It can be done with reinforcing.

Edited by tray burge

• 3 years later...

The case I built will safely and sturdily hold a loaded 30rnd mag and 20 in the ammo box and all the accoutrements without any problems. It can be done with reinforcing.

Nicely done. I just picked up the same violin case for mine. What did you do to reinforce the case?

• 3 years later...
Em 30/11/2015 às 00:42, dalbert disse:

ppgcowboy,

Gordon Herigstad faleceu no início deste ano... R.I.P.

Acredito que os casos foram vendidos há cerca de 2 anos. A única maneira de conseguir um seria comprar um de segunda mão.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Hi David,
I've been looking for Gordon Herigstad viola cases for some time now. But I haven't had any success yet.
I would like to ask for your help so I can find a case to buy. Maybe you know someone who wants to sell...
I will be very happy to be able to buy one of these cases.

I never met Mr Gordon, but I had the opportunity to exchange a few emails with him. He was very kind to me, putting one of my Colt Thompon in his book. (This was a great gift for me)

So David, if you can help me... or point me to a colleague who can help me with this I would be very grateful.

Marcio Passos

mpj_df@yahoo.com

On 11/11/2012 at 2:28 PM, The1930sRust said:

Recently I decided to get a new Thompson case. I had been eyeing Gordon's new Viola case since he introduced it some time ago. My now venerable Ess & Ess customized violin case, though a great conversation piece, was not really made to carry all the weight of a Thompson, drum, etc. And, it is starting to show even more age than its already 80 plus years! So, I am going to relegate it as a museum piece.

P1010005.JPG

Enter Gordon's Viola case. True, it is several times bigger than a violin case. But as he has specifically designed the innards to hold the Thompson gun, drums, sticks, and what not, I saw it is a great range case and more interesting than a police style/FBI case. I placed an order for case #138, and it arrived yesterday. All I can say is wow! There is no doubt it is well designed. The external hardware is very robust, so no fear of the handle ripping off when you pick it up. I don't know if this was Gordon's work or that of the case maker. Interestingly, the case came with a John Pearce Strings bumper sticker. I don't know how, exactly, the case was designed or if the sticker is kind of a joke ("hey, you play strings? Me too. Lemme see yours..."). Nevertheless, outside, the case is wonderful. It does have brass hardware "feet" on the hinge side. I would have liked to see the same feet on the base so as to reduce wear when you open it up. A minor consideration.

P1010007.JPG

Inside, it is all Gordon. The fit and trim is perfect. The case holds--very well thought out I might add--the complete gun. A nice felt-like "blanket" come standard and covers the gun, further protecting it. Two large finger holes allow you to lift the entire top "tray" out, exposing the bottom section. Here, miraculously, you can store a C and L drum, up to four 20 or 30 round stick mags, plus a box of ammo. I currently house three 20's, plus my shave brush oiler, and a copy of the TSMG instruction manual, plus a copy of my Form 4.

Gordon advises against storing and transporting loaded drums/sticks in the case. This would impart excessive weight to be sure. Already, with just the three loaded 20's, it is heavy and becomes somewhat unbalanced when carrying it. Still, I think the case could carry the weight of everything loaded, but I'm not sure my arm could!

There are more pics of the case at http://www.pbase.com...stad_viola_case

Get one while you can! I don't know how many Gordon produced, or how many are left. His website would tend to indicate only 80 were produced? http://thompsonaccessories.com/

Rust

Dear fellow collectors and enthusiasts of the Thompson world.
I am a foreign collector who recently arrived on this forum. And I've already learned a lot of good things here.

I have been looking for a case manufactured by Mr Gordon for some time now. But I haven't been successful yet.

That's why I'm leaving this message here on the forum.
If any of you want to sell your case, or know of someone who is getting rid of their collection… I would really like to be able to buy one of these cases.

Mr Gordon was an icon for modern Thompson history. I unfortunately didn't meet him in person. But I had the opportunity to exchange a few emails with him... It was just before he published his book... He was very kind and put one of my Colt Thompson # 8286/4106 in his book. I am the only Brazilian whose name is mentioned in the book.

I count on the solidarity of you here, to be able to find a case.
Thank you very much