Ao 1928ac Overstamp

I'm still new to the Thompsons and need some feedback from the board. There are several folks here that provide a great deal of wonderful info and I am in need of some help.

I just spoke with an individual who has a Bridgeport AO model 1928A for sale that was overstamped 1928AC. He is asking 15k. I threw several questions at the seller being:

Serial number: Which I got

Upper lower matched: he was not sure, but possibly mismatched

Finish (metal): states original

Mags available: 5-20 round and 5-30 round - no drums

Sling: No

Case: No

Wood: In good shape

How does it run: Hasn't fired the gun in a about a year, but it was stated there were problems with rounds not feeding properly. Not the best mags, as stated.

History: Owned it for 5 years, previous ower had it for about 30 years and hardly ever shot it.

Some of the questions I would like to ask the board, is:

Why the overstamp? Are these guns reassembled using spare parts? Why overstamp from a model 1928A to model 1928AC..?

Is this gun worth the price or should I be looking elsewhere..?

Thanks for your input.

Bosco

bosco,

I think you are somewhat confused about the nomenclature. It is the 1921 Colt TSMG's that were overstamped with and 8 over the 1, and then most were stamped U.S. Navy. The Bridgeport TSMG you are interested in is a 1928A1. The "C" (civilian) was probably added for sale to a police department at some point. There are no Thompson's stamped 1928A. As far as the $15K price tag? It is not out of line considering some M1/M1A1's are going for $12K-$13K. But for $15K you must go and see this gun in person to check out the details, and perhaps waste a mag on it.

1 - The price is a bit too high.

2 - If a person is unable to tell if the upper and lower numbers match it makes me wonder just what other BS they are telling you. My god, how difficult is it to remove the buttstock. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

I did ask him to remove the wood and check the numbers. He said that he would check it out. But the seller is not a knowledged Thompson owner. His interest is elsewhere. It's been kept in a safe for 5 yrs now.

And being the novice I am. Where would one find all the correct serial numbers, besides the receiver and under the stock. Are there not serial numbers on the barrel..?

Thanks,

Bosco

Good question Arthur ...

He states his interest to be in BAR's.

Here's the SN ... maybe that will help... AO150975X

Bosco,

It was probably made around June/July 1941. The "U.S." that prefixed the "Model 1928 AC" on the receiver may also have been ground off. It should have some nice early features like Lyman sight, paddle selectors, knurled actuator knob, and it should also have the "FULL AUTO" designation on the frame on one line, if it is an AO frame.

bosco,

Welcome to the board. The information Arthur has provided you is right on point. One other thing you may consider is purchasing a copy of Frank Iannamico's book, "American Thunder, The Military Thompson Submachine Guns." Frank is also the Webmaster of this message board. I believe Frank is out of stock but copies are available at other sources. I would bet some of the board members could direct you to a dealer with a copy in stock. On Page 83 of the book, there is a picture of a Thompson just like the one you are considering purchasing along with a lot of the information that Arthur has relayed to you. The serial numbers are pretty close too. This book would be a valuable aide to a beginning Thompson collector and would answer many of your questions. Again, welcome to the board. Tom

Pay 15 for it and be glad you did. In 3 years you will be lucky to get one like this for less than 20K.

Just remember that Arthur likes colts and cares less about the gun you are talking about. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

..Of course if you saw John jump off a bridge would you follow?

Only if the bridge was 4 feet above a sunken transport with 1000 colts on it.

JUMP!!!!

If the transport had 1000 Savage 28's on it, I might jump from 8 feet!!! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Jr

what are you waiting for?????? buy it,then you can join the big money gun club.whats that................anybody who has spent more then $10,000.00 on a gun.

since most people don't make more then $10,000.00 a month on a average.............

..that would put you in the big money gun club........

it's never how much you make, it's how much you keep to have fun with.............so spend it on the 28 or get that new ford g.t. you only go around once.....wink!!! have fun..........take care,ron/colt21a

i loan money for thompson's.........only charge 25% that's fair since they go up, what now???10% a month wink!!

Thanks for the info guys.

The owner did check on the serial numbers and they both match.

Say colt21a, I never heard of the "big money club". But for 15k I guess that would qualify. As far as a ford gt, my wife already has one and I hate the thing (too small).

I been looking for "American Thunder" and seem to have a bit of difficulty finding a copy. I put in an order at Apebook.com and got an email back telling me that the book is out of print. Even looked for a used copy at a gun show I attended last Sunday with no luck. Anyone got ideas on where I can obtain a copy...?

Arthur, I'm just curious ... but how many colts do you own..?

Thanks again,

bosco