1921 Thompson Help Needed

I know Stoner 63s but I''m new to Thompsons.

I'm brokering a 1921 Thompson made by Colt. I need some info:

Here's the particulars:

1921 Thompson NO 5104

“C†Drum

FRONT SIDE

MAGAZINE TYPE “Câ€

THOMPSON SUBMACHINE GUN

100 CARTRIDGES CALO .45

WIND TO 15 CLICKS

NO 316

BACK SIDE

AUTO-ORDNANCE CORP

NEW YORK N.Y. U.S.A.

PATENED

JULY 27, 1920 DEC 7, 1920

NO 316

“L†Drum

FRONT SIDE

MAGAZINE TYPE “Lâ€

THOMPSON SUBMACHINE GUN

50 CARTRIDGES CAL 45

WIND TO 11 CLICKS

NO. 1861

FOR US NAVY MODEL 1928

WIND TO 9 CLICKS ONLY

BACK SIDE

AUTO-ORDNANCE CORP

NEW YORK N.Y. U.S.A.

PATENED

NO. 2848

20 Round Stick

PATENED AUG 24,1929

AUG 24, 1920 – JAN 11, 1920

3-30 Round Sticks

THE SEYMOUR PRODUCTS CO

SEYMOUR CONN.

The right side has some wear near the magazine, and the following markings;

AUTO-ORDNANCE CORPORATION

NEW YORK U.S.A

PATENED

MARCH 9, 1915 JULY 27, 1920

MAY 4, 1920 AUGUST 10, 1920

MAY 25, 1920 SEPTEMBER 27, 1920

MAY 25, 1920 OCTOBER 26, 1920

The top has the THOMPSON bullet logo and some wear near the slide.

Left Side

MODEL OF 1921

NO 5104

THOMPSON SUBMACHINE GUN

CALIBRE 45 AUTOMATIC COLT CARTRIDGE

MANUFACTURED BY

COLT PATENT FIREARMS MFG .CO

HARTFORD CONN U.S.A.

Some wear on barrel just behind the compensator

Also included is the original F4 from the 1st owner (only 2 owners) and a hard case in mint condition.

My questions: How much is the gun and accessories worth? What year was it made? How can you tell if the case is an original or reproduction?

Edited by Mongo

It would help if you could hold it up to your monitior so we could see it more clearly (just kidding). There are some very knowledgable folks on the board who have been very helpful in the past, but they need to see what you have before expressing an opinion. I'd suggest that you take some very good digital photos and email them or post them to an accessable site.

BTW, I'm not one of those knowledgable people.

Sniper

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

1921 Thompson NO 5104-

Without knowing condition, could be $25-$35K..Depends on amount of original bluing, All Colt parts, condition of wood, etc....

“C†Drum

NO 316

$4k-$5K

“L†Drum

FRONT SIDE

MAGAZINE TYPE “Lâ€

THOMPSON SUBMACHINE GUN

50 CARTRIDGES CAL 45

WIND TO 11 CLICKS

NO. 1861

FOR US NAVY MODEL 1928

WIND TO 9 CLICKS ONLY

BACK SIDE

AUTO-ORDNANCE CORP

NEW YORK N.Y. U.S.A.

PATENED

NO. 2848

Mismatched Colt L drum $2.5-$3K

20 Round Stick

PATENED AUG 24,1929

AUG 24, 1920 – JAN 11, 1920

$85-$125 depending on condition

3-30 Round Sticks

Give away

Original case- $1500-$2000

If it has label of original 1930's manufacturer would be a good guide for originality, otherwise, the original type hardware has appeared on reproductions.

Mongo

Arthur beat me to the punch as I ran upstairs to check the serial # in Gordon's book.

Could not find any listing for that serial # which only means this gun has been out of circulation for a while as you described.

I would concur with Arthur's price range on the gun itself depending on condition.

My thoughts are SLIGHTLY different on a couple accessories.

A 3 digit serial $ C drum in excellent condition I think should command higher than the $5k max suggested.

I think the L drum is a tad high I am thinking $2k to $2.5.

Best way to get an assessment are pictures of the gun and accessories to look at condition.

good luck

michael

Mongo

OK for sure the case is not anything of signficant value as it is late production.

The pics unfortunately are just too fuzzy to make much more out although my sense was the wood did seem original.

To assess a Colt TSMG one needs almost to handle it but pics can give you a good range.

I looked at one pic and the bolt did not seem original (nickel) which could be just the pic.

I still think the price ranges that Arthur and I suggested hold other than for the case at this point.

Do you still have your website?

michael

StenGuy

A refinished Colt TSMG is not going to be 1/2 of the above quotes that would be $12,500 to $17,500. You barely see a WH being offered for the lower range of the $12,500 and Bridgeport/Savages are nearing the upper price range. A Colt refinished or not will command higher prices. Not sure where everyone comes up with 1/2 price I have seen that a few times.

However I would agree if it is refinished, it would be significantly less, my guess would be about $20k. A 3 digit dewat recently auctioned off for $23k that will need a complete overhaul including reparing/replacing a barrel with a welded chamber and a "rod" drilled through the barrel whatever that means. Point is that dewat sold for $23k needing SERIOUS work and $ to make it function and it will NEVER be an original finish again.

michael

3-30 Round Sticks
Give away

Can I have em?

(I'll take any you have Arthur if they are free and you pay the shipping!)

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

It's not been refinished, no new weld metal, the only non-normal wear is the left side of barrel where it looks like its slightly pitted and the owner used steel wool to remove it and the finish.

Unfortunately I have not seen the gun except in the photos but have talked to the owner extensively.