Vintage Police Photographs with the Thompson

Interesting news story Chuck, I see Walsh is involved again. Very active guy in the day- The milling off of the numbers looks a bit like the Nelson gun, all maybe done on a rotary shop grinder. What agency would be involved in stamping the numbers again, Treasury ? I guess it's pre 34 so not issues-

OCM

The question of the legality of serial number removal, has always been a question on my mind concerning the IRAs SS East Side 1921's, with only 100 of them retaining their serial numbers. Yet in 1925, all of the guns, including the 395 with serial numbers removed, were 'returned to their owner'. I would have thought owning the guns without serial numbers was in itself breaking the law.

Very interesting.

Chuck, do you have the numbers form those guns? Are those numbers verified to be correct? The acid etch method is good, but not always perfect. Jackson Co. Mi. gun comes to mind.

It always boggled my mind why people did not just take the barrel off and read the number. Marcellus Thompson went to Chicago and told them the number was under the grip mount. When I did not remember. But why did they ignore that?

Mike,

Yes, those are the correct numbers. They show up in the Coroner's minutes of the St. Valentine's Day Massacre, as well. Marcellus Thompson came to Chicago when they were trying to trace some gun shipments after the slaying of Asst. State's Attorney William McSwiggin in 1926. I think they resorted to the acid method because it was "scientific" and demonstrated how forensic science could solve crimes. Besides, lacking the proper tools to remove barrels, they probably felt it was quicker and easier to do the acid etching. Besides, the guns weren't regarded as collectibles and they didn't care if they ruined the finish.

Attached is an article I found on line, concerning the St. Valentines forensics, which I found interesting to read, BUT I have only the page that I have attached.

Does anyone happen to have the complete article they could scan and forward to me?

Stay safe

Richard

xlg_science_trail_of_crimes_0.jpg

Interesting news story Chuck, I see Walsh is involved again. Very active guy in the day- The milling off of the numbers looks a bit like the Nelson gun, all maybe done on a rotary shop grinder. What agency would be involved in stamping the numbers again, Treasury ? I guess it's pre 34 so not issues-

OCM

The question of the legality of serial number removal, has always been a question on my mind concerning the IRAs SS East Side 1921's, with only 100 of them retaining their serial numbers. Yet in 1925, all of the guns, including the 395 with serial numbers removed, were 'returned to their owner'. I would have thought owning the guns without serial numbers was in itself breaking the law.

>

Very interesting.

Chuck, do you have the numbers form those guns? Are those numbers verified to be correct? The acid etch method is good, but not always perfect. Jackson Co. Mi. gun comes to mind.

It always boggled my mind why people did not just take the barrel off and read the number. Marcellus Thompson went to Chicago and told them the number was under the grip mount. When I did not remember. But why did they ignore that?

Mike,

Yes, those are the correct numbers. They show up in the Coroner's minutes of the St. Valentine's Day Massacre, as well. Marcellus Thompson came to Chicago when they were trying to trace some gun shipments after the slaying of Asst. State's Attorney William McSwiggin in 1926. I think they resorted to the acid method because it was "scientific" and demonstrated how forensic science could solve crimes. Besides, lacking the proper tools to remove barrels, they probably felt it was quicker and easier to do the acid etching. Besides, the guns weren't regarded as collectibles and they didn't care if they ruined the finish.

Attached is an article I found on line, concerning the St. Valentines forensics, which I found interesting to read, BUT I have only the page that I have attached.

Does anyone happen to have the complete article they could scan and forward to me?

Stay safe

Richard

attachicon.gifxlg_science_trail_of_crimes_0.jpg

Richard,

I don't have that particular article, but I do have the article Goddard wrote in 1930 for the 1st Edition of The American Journal of Police Science. It concerns the St. Valentine's Day Massacre investigation. Send me your personal email by the Private Message feature on this Board and I will send you a copy.

Richard,

I don't have that particular article, but I do have the article Goddard wrote in 1930 for the 1st Edition of The American Journal of Police Science. It concerns the St. Valentine's Day Massacre investigation. Send me your personal email by the Private Message feature on this Board and I will send you a copy.

I'm pretty sure I have the article, but I'm in Tennessee at the moment. I will check this weekend.

David

GI Jive message sent thanks

David,

All the time in the world, if you could let me have a copy, it would be appreciated.

AZ Boater,

reference the Indian Motorcycle photo, I found a similar photo.

NYPD Indian, sidecar & Thompson.JPG

Photo of the Illinois State Police, caption said just received their Thompsons.

Il State Police with new Thompsons.JPG

Milwaukee PD Thompson, open police case in bottom right of photo

Milwaukee PD.jpg

Philadelphia PD Motorcycle and side car.

Philidelphia PD 1920's.JPG

Could this have been the original Thompson 'Viola' case, I prefer the version that the late Gordon Herigstad produced, serial # 119 is in my collection.

Original  Thompson Viola Case.JPG

Stay safe

Richard

Edited by rpbcps

Arthur,

Speaking of Fenn, I recently re-contacted them regarding my request from several months ago about getting some information on the type of fixture they used when they did the work for Auto-Ordnance. They were having some difficulty finding anything so I requested they start looking in their archives for the 1926/1927 time frame. If I hear anything I will post the results.

Imagine if they discover the antique bottle opener in the break room is the actual 1928 TSMG barrel device?

LEO with Colt Navypost-110-0-25262000-1487115987_thumb.jpg

C Drumpost-110-0-28536000-1487116016_thumb.jpg

Surrenderpost-110-0-29920000-1487116103_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Not sure if these photos have been posted before, if so I missed them.

While reading an article in the February 1955 issue of Gun Magazine, I found this undated photo with the caption "State trooper at road block uses Tommy gun with 50 shot drum to backup questions in car check".

State Trooper with TSMG.JPG

Here is another photo, dated 1935, showing a policeman in Puerto Rico, which I did not realise was a territory of the United States, armed with a Thompson gun.

Peurto Rican Police 1935.png

Stay safe

Richard

• 2 months later...

Just came across another vintage police photo, which I have never seen before, no date on this one.

Lt Albert Field Photoshot 1920's.JPG

Any ideas what the policemen are armed with, in the picture below?

Police with.jpg

Stay safe

Richard

Richard - it looks like Manville tear gas guns.

Andrew

Agreed--Manville guns.

Thanks for reply, that shows my ignorance, I had never heard of a Manville tear gas gun.

Stay safe

Richard

Just came across another vintage police photo, which I have never seen before, no date on this one.

attachicon.gifLt Albert Field Photoshot 1920's.JPG

Any ideas what the policemen are armed with, in the picture below?

attachicon.gifPolice with.jpg

Stay safe

Richard

Richard here are more from that photo shoot,

with Lt. Albert Field Connecticut State Police, with Thompson .45 submachine gun

Lt. Albert Field CSP with Thompsons & Other CSP's.jpg

Lt. Albert Field with Thompson .45 submachine gun Connecticut State Police (2).jpg

Lt. Albert Field with Thompson .45 submachine gun Connecticut State Police 1.jpg

Posing with the Thompson Lt Albert Field CSP.jpg

azboater,

Excellent photos, you must have a good collection of photos, looking at your recent posts.

Do you have any idea what year the Lt. Albert Field photo shot was taken? I note the Thompson has a horizontal fore grip rather than a vertical one, and a Cutts compensator.

I note the photo with the three State policemen with two Thompsons, is featured in the 1929 AO catalog.

Stay safe

Richard

Edited by rpbcps

What's rare in the photo is the early Mills flap 4 cell mag pouch. This photo

was supplied to me when I bought a pouch just like it. I believe my pouch was

from the West Virginia State Police.

Darryl

Here is another I have not seen on the forum before, but no details/date once again.

PD 1921s.jpg

Stay safe

Richard

• Upvote 1

Looks a lot like my 1926 Ford! It is a late T, not an A, if I see it right.

30 or 31 Ford based on the wheels

I'd say a 30- 31 A .

Definitely a 30-31 Model A. Can't tell if it's a Tudor or Sedan though.

So that puts the time frame of picture into post 1931?

Stay safe

Richard

30 or 31 Ford based on the wheels

I'd say a 30- 31 A .

Definitely a 30-31 Model A. Can't tell if it's a Tudor or Sedan though.

So that puts the time frame of picture into post 1931?

Stay safe

Richard

Yeah I don't recall the nuances between 30 and 31 A's to pin down which it is. I just remember that the 28/29s had 21 inch wheels similar to 26/27 T's and for 30/31 they dropped them to 19 inch wheels and changed the style of hub.

Ron

Pretty sure a Tudor by the windows on the passenger side rear showing thru and the larger window behind the cop. No quarter window I don't think.

Yes, final answer : 1931 Ford Tudor ( hope I don't hear the buzzer )

OCM