Fear of MG Ban or Closing of Registry?

Hey guys,

The hurting of MG value is discussed ad nauseam, usually in regards to people speculating on the registry one day being open, an amnesty going into effect or the NFA being repealed. However, I don't see too many people around the forums speculating on the registry one day being closed, or MG's being outright banned.

I just wanted to get your guys' thoughts? Given the current political climate, do you guys think something like this may be looming? Do you guys with large MG collections worry about having to someday turn them in?

Personally, I think the first time a wacko uses an MG in a shooting (weather a registered MG or not), will be the catalyst to their banning. After all, MG owners make a small sample of the gun community, and most people are priced out of owning them anyway and don't have a dog in the fight. I think it would be easy for a motivated congress to pull off, which is always front and center in my mind every time I think about adding another MG to the collection.

Thoughts?

With all due respect, none of this age-old speculation is worth a discussion. I bought a registered M1 Thompson in 1970, less than two years after the repressive GCA '68, for which I paid the gov't $200 and the seller $75. Aside from the amusement of my friends for giving the gov't $200 "for nothing", and I agreed with that, most of the points raised above were all brought forth plus a few more not mentioned. As well, I was deemed a fool but those skeptical of my sanity all wanted to shoot the gun. Buying a registered MG relieved my annoyance and paranoia with shooting MGs in some remote place, running several mags and then jumping into the car and leaving so no one would catch us. None of those MGs were registered.

In my experience most people have more reasons for not buying an MG than for buying one. They are not for everyone so if one's tolerance for risk is low, just don't buy one. FWIW

Depending on where you live you may want to worry more about the San Andreas or the New Madrid fault becoming active than the events you have questioned. All can ruin your life without warning but there isn't much you can do about it between now and when it happens so you may as well go on and enjoy your life and hobby as best you can until.

The gun lobby and politicians can crush us like Thor's hammer @ any time and there is nothing any of us can do because your neighbors who maybe own more firearms than you (and of a type frequently used in violent crimes) think you shouldn't be allowed to have yours and/or feeding you to the beast will garner a reprieve for themselves. If it's a worry, buy semi-autos, shotguns, dueling pistols, old cars, guitars, or almost anything else. Enough donors to both entities own those to provide insulation.

The gun lobby and politicians can crush us like Thor's hammer @ any time and there is nothing any of us can do because your neighbors who maybe own more firearms than you (and of a type frequently used in violent crimes) think you shouldn't be allowed to have yours and/or feeding you to the beast will garner a reprieve for themselves. If it's a worry, buy semi-autos, shotguns, dueling pistols, old cars, guitars, or almost anything else. Enough donors to both entities own those to provide insulation.

You left out model trains. :) My fall back position.

If they take my machine guns, I will cry.

If they take my model trains, however, I will go to war.

Lone Ranger knows I collect brass models. :) Often threaten to sell all the MGs and spend the money on models.

Well this is all interesting. The very day I post this question, some guy uses an NFA item in a shooting in VA. I wonder if it was registered and what the backlash will be as a result. Remember, one shooting with a bumpstock lead to their ban. Strange times.

If they ban them I see it going 2 ways. Buy back or no more transfers.

Money is fee to the govt . They can just print $100,000,000 and buy them back w few complaints or lawsuits

Thats 30 minutes of interest of the national debt.

I dont see it happening until a mass shooting is done with a nfa FA

I am curious to see where the VA silencer shooter situation going. I suspect record sales of silencers this week

Get one before they ban them fear

With 1.5 million silencers and growing you will see silencers used commonly on future mass shootings.

Look for whoever made the silencer to be sued by 12 people and silencer costs to go up to cover future lawsuits

A .22 silencer would make a very hard to find shooter. A .45 silenced pistol is still loud enough for anyone to hear and understand whats going on.

Edited by huggytree

The fear is real, I am sure they will not ban them, but will be discussed depending on whether the shooter legally possessed or illegally built his. It could in the smallest of ways add to the fact that no amount of background checks will determine the future intent of the user.

A quick number crunching if the .gov went with a MG buy back would be over 1.3B

Edited by Speeddemon02

News reports do not say at this time if the suppressor was used during the shooting or it was found later at his home with his other firearms.

UPDATE:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/did-silencer-make-a-difference-in-virginia-beach-carnage/ar-AACfvxo

I heard somewhere that even though Virginia allows possession of silencers not all areas of Virginia do and Virginia Beach was one of them, anyone confirm this? If this is the case then this is like those gun free zones, the item in question was illegal.

I heard somewhere that even though Virginia allows possession of silencers not all areas of Virginia do and Virginia Beach was one of them, anyone confirm this? If this is the case then this is like those gun free zones, the item in question was illegal.

That is correct.

What really bothers me is the 'bump stock' ban. They arbitrarily made them illegal, with no grandfathering, giving owners the ability to register, or offer to purchase. This has not happened before. Congress did not change the law, ATF just went ahead and changed the rules, regardless of the actual law.

If they are permitted to do that, then they can do almost anything. The only 'right to own a machine gun' is the 2nd Amendment. The whole process we go through to transfer one to an individual is proof that you do not have a 'right' to own one from the Government's perspective. They consider it a 'privilege' that we are granted if we are good, toe their line, pay the tax, and agree to a host of other restrictions.

If the Supreme Court allows the Bump Stock ban to stand, then there is nothing that cannot be banned arbitrarily.

What really bothers me is the 'bump stock' ban. They arbitrarily made them illegal, with no grandfathering, giving owners the ability to register, or offer to purchase. This has not happened before. Congress did not change the law, ATF just went ahead and changed the rules, regardless of the actual law.

If they are permitted to do that, then they can do almost anything. The only 'right to own a machine gun' is the 2nd Amendment. The whole process we go through to transfer one to an individual is proof that you do not have a 'right' to own one from the Government's perspective. They consider it a 'privilege' that we are granted if we are good, toe their line, pay the tax, and agree to a host of other restrictions.

If the Supreme Court allows the Bump Stock ban to stand, then there is nothing that cannot be banned arbitrarily.

EXACTLY - has the potential to keep on delivering gifts indefinitely and in all facets of life.