Ohio Ord. 1918a3 Slr Range Report

Took out my SL(BA)R on Tuesday....ran about 120rds Danish .06 through it. At least I TRIED....Seems I have an Early gun...got it from a guy who bought it in '97 and stuffed it in his safe for 6 years. Finish was perfect...so obviously he never fired it....When I took it to the range, it would NOT cycle, even with the regulator on the wide open setting. I lubbed the thing up really good and it started to loosen up. Had at least 20 light primer strikes that failed to fire. TO Ohio Ordnance's credit (and praises for Chris) THey were able to determine my Firing pin is out of spec...sending a new one free of charge. Also, there was a re-design of the regulator where what was the largest hole of the settings is now the smallest....thus you can open it up more to let more gases through. If I hadn't pulled the bone head move of busting my regulator assembly (didn't take out the roll pin first) they would have sent a new one free of charge. Can't wait to get the parts so I can put it together and take it out again. Will post update when I do.

PS, When it would fire off several shots in a row it was awesome!!

New1,...that is about par for a new OO BAR....they tend to be on the tight side,which is a good thing....I have #924 and when it was new in 01 I racked a dummy round and closed the action...locked up solid...called OO and Chris remembered the number on this gun and said `kick the oprod down while standing the gun on the butt`...worked like a charm...that BAR hasn`t missed a beat in 3 years...these are actually real accurate,dances liter bottles,bowling pins,whatever..out to 250yds...that`s about as far as I can see anymore....great company Ohio Ord...my .02, http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

21 Smoker...

YEah, I figure a couple hundred rounds should break it in. I am just now seeing wear on the moving parts so now I know where to put lube. Damn, your number is high....or mine IS low (low 200's) . What ammo have you run...is there a noticeable variance in operation or is it a very UN-picky eater? Thanks!

New1,.. wow #200s...that is a low one... I reload 30.06 and use L.C 67 & 68 match brass 173gr.fmjbt over 47.5grs. of IMR 4895.This works well in my NESA,Marlin-Rockwell and OO BARs...heavier loads seem to work better...I`m sure a commercial loading for hunting would work fine...military surplus G.I. also..stay away from turkish,old stuff and steel case. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

I had mine down. It quickly turned from "lets see how good I can shoot this thing" to "man, I wish I could get this thing to work!" I am confident the longer firing pin will fix the light primer hits...and the gas regulator with bigger holes will fix the cycling. Next range session I will be back to "lets see how good I can shoot this thing" . Will post findings as well as how high (or not) the hit is versus point of aim. I still have an annoying problem of, when I screw on the flash hider to mount the bipod, it screws down too tight and the bipod will not move. UNless that it normal, I would think it should turn freely (the flash hider) when the bipod is mounted. (its hard to describe what I mean here...I guess it is like, if the bipod is on, and the legs extended, should I be able to still turn the bipod aound the flash hider??) Does yours screw down tight and prevent movement when your bipod is on? THanks!

New1,.. don`t forget the thick washer before you install the flash hider...it rides in front of the site...maybe this is the source of the tightness, http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif