• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ssjtristan

Ssjtristan

• Regular Group
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:48 PM

Hello all,

I have been researching the history of the BAR for a while now and have been gathered information on part markings, manufacturer differences, etc.  However, the only way I will be able to gather some information is if I can study the actual firearms.  Given that this task is very time consuming and costly I was wondering if my fellow BAR enthusiasts would be willing to participate in a study.  This is a great way to show off your baby and further our knowledge base.  

Basically, what I would like are pictures of any part markings, piece marks, proof stamps, and part pictures in general.  Obviously, original and non-rebuilds are preferred but a marking is a marking and will gladly study anything that comes my way.  Much like the M1 Garand, these parts changed over time with different numbers and manufacturer differences and I would love to put this information together.  

PM with questions and we can get the ball rolling.  I have seen a few great photos on this forum already but I will not use them without permission.  Thank you in advance.   

#2 BillyDixon

BillyDixon

• Regular Group
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 06:28 PM

been there done that, get a copy of rock and hard place, should answer all your questons,, where are you located?

#3 Ssjtristan

Ssjtristan

• Regular Group
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 10:38 PM

Rock in a Hard place is a fantastic reference but has little on part markings, manufacturing, part changes etc.  His chapter, Treatise on BAR parts is interesting but is far from a complete work.  What I have read on other forums, there was supposed to be another book on what I would like to see but he sadly the author passed away prior to completion.  I would think somebody would finish his work but perhaps not.  

#4 GaryKeim

GaryKeim

• Board Benefactor
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:History of warfare technology, Martin Guitars, Authentic BBQ, C&R FFL

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:40 PM

I grant you the right to use any and all photos I have posted.... especially if it can help figure out the peculiar markings on my m1918 Winchester.

#5 Ssjtristan

Ssjtristan

• Regular Group
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:19 PM

Thank you Gary.  I will do a search and see what you have posted.  I may hit you up for additional photos in the future.  As my research progresses I'll let you know what I find. Thanks!

#6 jim c 351

jim c 351

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2965 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 07:06 AM

Ssjtristan,

BillyDixon inquired as to your location. I am also making the same inquiry.

Jim C

#7 Ssjtristan

Ssjtristan

• Regular Group
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 04:45 PM

I'm in good ol' Wyoming.

#8 RoscoeTurner

RoscoeTurner

Respected Member

• 3047 posts
  • Interests:WWII Military Thompsons
    WWII Browning Automatic Rifles
    Russian M1910 Maxims
    Vickers
    01/SOT

Posted 27 May 2019 - 05:20 PM

Great state, about thirty years ago I used to out to Guernsey to evaluate the National Guard units that trained there.

I have a number of BAR parts, send me a PM with which pieces you need photos of and any details you are interested in.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BAR, Browning automatic rife, 1918a2, 1918, M1918, M1918a2, Browning