WTB: Original Matching MP40

I'm not a big fan of the pitting in the picture of the receiver and mag well area, which would somewhat diminish the value IMO.

Nice ones are getting harder and harder to find. I bought my BNZ 41 from the son of the WWII vet who brought it back. It was registered to the son in the '68 amnesty. At the time, he was a college student and took care of the gun his entire adult life. Mine has the hook cocking handle and unmodified receiver.

I think the key is to keep looking until you find what you like at a price you're willing to pay. Good luck with the search.

I always mention to buyers get the best you can find and afford don't settle for whats out there/Because you will have to upgrade later on a never ending task. I remember a guy asking about FAL rifles when i was in to those. And he had a few to show me that he said had been the best. he brings them over in hardcases. i looked and said nice stuff. Lets go upstairs.

i have laid out for him 4 n.i.b. G series para troopers. cons serial numbers. a pre 86 new in box G-1 Fal. a brit l1a1 new in box. and a 1964 Standard all wood G series new in box. Serial #900 a Bay of pigs ordered gun. located in Miami that never made it to Cuba.

so he has his 2 great ones i show him 7 all new. and let alone the 4 Para Models.And walk him over to 3 F.N. Cal's out of the 18 ever imported. he says been collecting for years and bought these 2 they he was proud of. I said so was i. I bought the best that i could find.

I told him at the time not for sale just for looking. he said i bet a Para would cost me I said you want the pair for $7.500.00 this was around 1985 He said wow thats a lot of money I said get it and you can buy the best, don't go a half measure. So all who look to buy anything today go for the best. recently a outstanding matched original MP-38 Was for sale for $50,000 I sold my shooter back around 1980 for $5,000.00 I told the guy who was looking buy it. He answered aw way too much.I said so what a tube gun for $12 grand. And you will think about the MP-38 that you did not buy for years.

the same thing happened to me decades ago i wanted a Colt monitor real bad.had the Winchester, Marlin Rockwell, Royal Typewriter.Locared a mint cond. 1919 Colt from republic steel company. the payroll guard gun. bought it I go to Indiana to pick it up. the guy drives me over to his local buddies to see some of his stuff. on the wall behind Glass is a Mint cond. Colt monitor from the local sheriffs P.D. I offer the guy right there 10 grand as he lets me fondle it.He says Son you could make it 20 grand it is not for sale i bought the best i could find.and heck you have a outstanding Colt 1919 on that table right there.

I said yeah but you have the best.

we all have done that i am sure. The fals are all gone along with the rest.{I have a custom one being built now} to remember my first from 1975.It is now the younger guys games now.Can they build up what the older guys ever had..fat chance.unless they have millions to spend and can afford to let Millions sit in a safe or vault room. But it is still great to see what is still left and out there also take a look at the mag in that Steyr not some dented rusted junk you see slipped in them today.

yeah I hope all the buyers get the best they can swing. When you settle for used junk or guns that need help you end up with that.A collection of 25 mint samples are way better then a 100 boat anchors.

post-504-0-16270500-1614063872_thumb.jpg

post-504-0-44846500-1614063945_thumb.jpg

post-504-0-46824700-1614064142_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

There are younger guys building substantial collections. All the same guns are still there NIB FAL's etc. they have just changed hands and there are actually more now than before in some cases. Unless it's been destroyed in a fire or confiscated and torched it's still out there. Seen several collections bigger than old man Dick's, but few on the order of Stern, but it's early yet!

• 2 weeks later...

Gents,

Thank-you for everyone's thoughts on Spiwak's MP40. This one checks a lot of the boxes that I am looking for but I am going to take Ron's advise..."I always mention to buyers get the best you can find and afford don't settle for whats out there/Because you will have to upgrade later on a never ending task" and pass on this one.

So still looking.

Thanks,

Dan

Gents,

Thank-you for everyone's thoughts on Spiwak's MP40. This one checks a lot of the boxes that I am looking for but I am going to take Ron's advise..."I always mention to buyers get the best you can find and afford don't settle for whats out there/Because you will have to upgrade later on a never ending task" and pass on this one.

So still looking.

Thanks,

Dan

https://otbfirearms.com/german-mp-40-9mm-smg-mfg-by-steyr/

Edited by NFA amnesty

Gents,

So still looking.

Thanks,

Dan

That's poor advice IMO and I actually own and collect this stuff. Get something decent for a good price now even if it's not a stellar example. You learn on it, shoot it, study it, and then you're able to make actual informed decisions about what you want in an upgrade. Should prices rise, your current gun will rise with the tide making your "keeper" easier to afford down the road. Now if you have an ample budget you've missed out on couple nice ones recently at 35K+

I have a number of guns that were not pristine I bought back in the day. Today those guns are priced out of what I would want to invest in them at this point, and as it turned out in retrospect, they are much nicer than I thought in comparison to what I've seen for sale in the last 15 years. Add in what I've learned and accessories I've gotten along the way....priceless.

Bought another gun last week. Apparently yesterday the first guy called back and finally made an offer for more than what I offered last week. He hesitated and has no gun. I pulled the trigger immediately, got a better deal, and will have the gun. He'll be looking for......maybe ever?

Did I need a 3rd one? Now I have 3 to compare and maybe sell of the the worst of the bunch, but without having them in hand it's impossible to tell and the joke is about comparing pictures on the internet to figure out which gun is nicer? Doesn't really work that way.

• Upvote 1

Spiwaks gun is ugly. It wont be hard to find a nicer one.

To each his own. Some think ugly looks more ww2 legit. You may think that way. But resale will be more difficult as most dont want a $25,000 ugly gun

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I actually think it is an attractive looking gun. I really like the ones with mixed finishes: original finish, bare metal and patina. I also like the advice on buying a decent MP40 and possibly upgrading later otherwise you might be waiting a long long time to find the exact gun you want. I've been collecting over 20 years and can tell you most guys keep their MP40(s) a very long time. And if it is a super nice one, many guys will want that exact same gun. Sometimes you have to settle and then the wait begins....

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I actually think it is an attractive looking gun. I really like the ones with mixed finishes: original finish, bare metal and patina. I also like the advice on buying a decent MP40 and possibly upgrading later otherwise you might be waiting a long long time to find the exact gun you want. I've been collecting over 20 years and can tell you most guys keep their MP40(s) a very long time. And if it is a super nice one, many guys will want that exact same gun. Sometimes you have to settle and then the wait begins....

I could not agree more. I like Spiwak's MP40, along with the patina but that is me. If I had the extra money and did not own a tube gun, would jump at it.

Yeah I dont get all the Spiwak and his gun bashing since it is original finish and looks nice for what you can get, especially these days, in an original and all matching gun. Regardless, someone saw its worth as it has sold.

Yeah I dont get all the Spiwak and his gun bashing since it is original finish and looks nice for what you can get, especially these days, in an original and all matching gun. Regardless, someone saw its worth as it has sold.

Someone is going to get a cool all matching MP40 with original finish! Still shows it is for sale when I just checked but David might not have updated his site yet.

Yes, I spoke with him a couple days ago and it was sold. I agree as it is a nice gun but I already have two :)

Someone is going to get a cool all matching MP40 with original finish! Still shows it is for sale when I just checked but David might not have updated his site yet.

This is one somebody might like. Sold it off years ago. a milled receiver underfolder. Bulgarian only one imported.

{IN 5.56X45 CAL} Way before anybody knew about them 15 years ago. And as i said buy the best cond possible. here is a pile all brand new.all imported in. How would i know i owned them all.you can't beat new or a mint cond original. But some will chase around to buy 2 or 3 of less grade to have one. and later find the one they really want. Jim Falter did that when he bought #167. and moved out #1504. to buy #167. How would i know i brokered the deal for that gun. along with the #1504 numbered drum.

He was in a unique situation to find #167. and moved out #1504 to make the purchase.That was a old Virginia Earl gun.

yes good times. and tale from the Crypt.

R.K.

post-504-0-41610500-1615494414_thumb.jpg

post-504-0-78832300-1615494466_thumb.jpg

post-504-0-88928800-1615494517_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Gents,

So still looking.

Thanks,

Dan

Get something decent for a good price now even if it's not a stellar example. You learn on it, shoot it, study it, and then you're able to make actual informed decisions about what you want in an upgrade. Should prices rise, your current gun will rise with the tide making your "keeper" easier to afford down the road.

I think this is excellent advice. When I bought mine, from the son of the WWII vet who brought it back, which the son registered in the '68 Amnesty, I could have continued to look for the "perfect" gun, but I might well still be looking while the prices have continued to climb. And of course I've learned a lot about MP40s and accessories as I've owned mine. You know the old saying about analysis paralysis.

• 2 months later...
I have a nice, 100% matching and original finish (about 90%) MP.40 ayf 43 that was a mild rewat, beautiful original bakelite furniture. It runs but is a safe queen. Its very easy to ID original finish on MP.40s. Its collector quality and its very tough to find those now. Id trade it plus $ for a same condition and quality Sten Mk.II or Beretta MAB.38A.

Also, to me the best vintage SMG to have is a MP.40 IMHO. You can use the receiver tube with a complete extra parts kit and never wear out or break original numbered parts. Bulge the matching barrel or break off a bolt handle on the matching bolt and that sucks. Properly tuned and if you understand them (they are simple) you can make it run self-defense reliable, plus they are accurate and fun to shoot.
  • Upvote 1

I think Dan's doing the right thing. An all matching, combat issued MP-40 basically cannot be upgraded. Every little ding or rub has a story to tell.

• 1 month later...

I have a C&R barrel mismatched MP-40 with a stock that has zero slop. This is the EXCEPTION, not the rule. All other MP-40 stocks I have seen have some slop. They were made that way, mine is tight because of sheer luck as to the tolerances between the locking trunnion and the rotating stock piece containing the locking lugs got put together. It wasn't a planned thing. The two parts that engage to lock the stock in place or folded appear to be cast steel, and not machined to tolerance. Stock slop was not seen as a problem to the builders at the time. The locking parts do not suffer wear such that they would become more loose over time either.

• Upvote 1

I have a C&R barrel mismatched MP-40 with a stock that has zero slop. This is the EXCEPTION, not the rule. All other MP-40 stocks I have seen have some slop. They were made that way, mine is tight because of sheer luck as to the tolerances between the locking trunnion and the rotating stock piece containing the locking lugs got put together. It wasn't a planned thing. The two parts that engage to lock the stock in place or folded appear to be cast steel, and not machined to tolerance. Stock slop was not seen as a problem to the builders at the time. The locking parts do not suffer wear such that they would become more loose over time either.

When i received my MP40 some years back i was not happy with the stock play. It was so distracting to me it made the gun uncomfortable to shoot. Not only did the stock have excessive up and down play it also had side to side play, totally unacceptable imo.I refused to believe the bs that this is the way they are talk. I found a nos bushing online and went to work on it. With a little bit of dremel work i was able to fit the new bushing and get out the side play completely and about 90% of the up down play. There are definitely some wear parts in the stock assembly that over time develop some excessive play. Maybe it was planned that way by the german engineers idk but there are ways to tighten up the stock and make it more user friendly. just my 2 cents

Edited by Petroleum 1

Hey guys, I bought the MP 40 from Spiwak. It was my second purchase from him (1928 A1 Thompson was #1) and as mentioned earlier, he may not post great photos, but he'll ship it to your dealer and if you don't like what you see, he'll refund your money. Pretty good deal. He is as honest as the day is long. So it was shipped to me. I did further research on the gun (bnz 41) and found it under a NL registry (SN 1159) which confirmed the C&R all numbers matching gun. When I got it in person (my dealer), I found:

• Bakelite - perfect, no mars nor chips (original)
  • Barrel - excellent bore (clearly this gun was not used much)
  • Finish - as described in this email series, clearly a 75 year old gun
  • Pitting and rust - minor IMO but in need of attention
  • SN's - 100% matching for all parts
  • Sling - original

I collect C&R WW2 era open bolt guns (have 11 now) and follow the advice of a much older collector. You never pay too much, you just buy too early. Prices will catch up, so get good stuff. If I wanted a shooter, I'd buy a Wilson (they look great but are not C&R)

I then sent the gun off to Andrewski (after much discussion and picture trading with him) who is taking this on as a special restoration project. I fully trust this excellent gunsmith/artist and his evaluation of the gun was that it was a great catch and worthy of a professional restoration. His work is unmatched and he is very knowledgeable about these types of projects. I have also purchased a shooter bolt and recoil tube, so as to not place the OEM firing pin and bolt at risk.

Next, I bought a repro transport case from our friend in England and made minor interior changes to it to make it more resemble the original ones used in Luftwaffe radio/radar trucks (see BergFlak write-up). To complete the collection, (I'm still mulling over getting OEM magazine pouches) I purchased original era magazines, loader and key replacement parts.

So, to me, the one who shelled out the bucks, I got a great deal, and when Andrewski is done, the whole package will be quite a nice ensemble.

I love this forum, and have found the members to be forthright (no kidding) with their opinions and experience/knowledge. But.... each person who buys a NFA item should take the time to research and decide if a particular purchase is in line with their collection objectives. This was, and so I now own it!