Current Value - Beretta 38/42

GWick123

Kanister, interesting pics - have you found any rhyme or reason to the serial number assignment? Is it more than just sequential? CN doesn't necessarily make sense with regard to Camicia Nera where I believe it was acquired, but as you said, many of the guns were well travelled. First I heard of CN was above, so w/o anything solid, don't think I would ever claim that - not that I believe it adds anything either way. Are there any other available methods to source history? Any other recommended sites or sources for additional research you would recommend? What is the definitive answer for the 4UT##? Did it actually mean anything? Why did some have them and some did not? Have continued to look for the "GA" stamp, without any success. Sorry, more questions than answers unfortunately. The original question is still open for me - I think the answer is very specific, somewhere between $10K and $57K .......

For your original question I can't aid you: I live in another world....

For the GA stamp have you a picture?

For additional reserarch I can only recommend to read some Italian authors: I have a collection of articles from many Italian magazines and also many books and I try to search on them when I have a question.

The same for the 4UT that, I repeat myself, is not a German stamp.

The pic of the GA mark is attached. It's an oval with a thin, hard to read letters that appear to be GA on the stock by the serial number. I looked through the book/doc you had posted, but was unable to find a match. Similar, yes, but not a match. With regard to the 4UT, Italian or German, has there been an established reason for the mark (years, specific weapons, where they were going, etc.)? Are any of the books you reference in English or only Italian? Thanks and sorry I keep asking questions. It's been a great forum to learn!

post-262379-0-49103900-1569427500_thumb.jpg

Sorry, but I can't find a reply for the GA mark: but are you sure that it is GA? I turned it upside down and it seem other.

I have many books and magazine articles both Italian and English, but I trust only on the recent ones.

For istance I tell you the "tale" of another Italian smg: the TZ45.

Many year ago (around 1960) an American writer wrote that it was designed by two brothers: Toni and Zorzoli Giandoso and from that day everyone who write about smg goes on writing the same "tale" without control. Only on recent years another American writer, Ralph Riccio, on his book "Italian Small Arms" at last reestablishes the thuth: Tonon, Zorzoli and Giandoso were three different individuals with no relationship.

Every time I start reading that they insted were brothers I stop reading.

And the ones that write about the TZ45 are the same that tell us that the 4UT is a German Marking and many other pleasantry like this one.

• 3 years later...

Been a while since I looked at this site. Never found much else on the gun in terms of markings. I did confirm that the perceived crack in the stock is actually made from the factory - was used to save wood in the process. I am curious what the prices are today? I am still on the fence as to whether I am planning to sell it. Not a ton of them have come to the market since. Morphy's has a smooth barrel, refinished stock and think there is another out there @ 30K, but also seems to be refinished and not as nice and doesn't have the same marks.