"like New" West Hurley Thompson

WH numbers

Check this out for some direction. Coin toss on good or bad. We've all seen both. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif

Good luck!

Hi railroader,

Welcome to the board. You can find a lot of information on the West Hurley Thompson in many of the threads and in the FAQ section, above. I assume you are looking at a Model of 1928 West Hurley. I strongly suggest a test fire session if possible. Even if it doesn't work, it can be fixed, but this will let you know right off what you are dealing with. Check out the function for both Semi and Full Auto. You need to understand the markings on the various GI parts so when you inspect this West Hurley you will know what you are looking at. I highly recommend "American Thunder II" by Frank Iannamico, for sale on this board. A few items to look for: A West Hurley actuator is not the best and will need to be replaced with a GI actuator. In addition, the lack of a real Lyman rear sight and paddle type fire control levers are also something to figure into the final price because you will want to replace these items. West Hurley wood is something else you will probably want to replace sometime in the future. However, a West Hurley Thompson is a fun shooter and will provide you many hours of fun on the range. If the price is right and you want a Thompson, you can't go wrong. Let us know what you decide.

Thanks for the respsonses about the West Hurley. I'm

currently in the paper work phase, so it'll be a while.

The gun I bought. as far as I can figure, was built in early

1984. It's in new condition. I have been hearing about

possibly having to replace some of the parts with USGI parts. Exactly which ones would you recomend I get, if I need any. Maybe I should just wait and see how it runs.

Every machine gun owner could use a parts kit because you never know when something will break or wear out. However, waiting until you find out if it runs or not is not a bad idea. All non-GI parts will have to be replaced sometime, but if it runs - enjoy and don't worry about it. While waiting for the paperwork to clear, purchase a few books on the Thompson so you will be an informed owner. Congratulations on your purchase.

Congra's! and Welcome. I have to as were you got you computer handle "Railroader"?-adlake

Railroader,

Welcome to the board and the world of Thompson ownership (i.e., once ATF does their thing...)! You have now officially contracted Thompsonitis. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif There is no known cure. The symptoms vary with each individual, but all tend to drain one's bank account.

American Thunder II is a must-have book. Another great book with more information on pre-war Thompsons is "Thompson: The American Legend" by Tracie Hill.

You can certainly wait to check out your gun, but I suggest purchasing one of the nice 1928 parts kits that are available from several sources (Ohio Ordnance Works, IMA, Omega). They vary in price based on condition and the pieces included, but they run in the $850-1250 range. That will give you at least one of anything that needs replaced on your WH or as spare parts. Right now these sets are fairly plentiful, but a couple years ago you could rarely find a 1928 parts set, and if you did it cost 2-3 times the current price.

I also suggest you consider joining the Thompson Collector's Association. It is a great group of collectors with an annual Show and Shoot (members only) in Ohio (August) and Arizona (April). If you want to attend the Ohio show, you need to be registered soon. TCA Web Site

Again, welcome to the board.

Roger

I offer my congratulations also!...I was in the same situation a few years ago and thru the help of the members here,I now have a very reliable late production WH28 #2712...thanks to Paul Krogh(PK),Dan Block(Deerslayer)and Damon (Tommygunner) it looks as good as it runs...the info in the previous posts will be very helpful in the coming months...good luck and post some pics when you get them!... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif