Serial Number Reference Guide

I just received my demilled parts kit from Sportsman's Guide a few days ago and was satisfied with it's condition.

I originally put my order in when looking to buy a 1928 WH without a Cutts. I ordered the kit due to the Cutts being included, not to mention a spare barrel, lower, etc. Well, the deal fell through on the original gun, but another came on the market so I bought it. It has the Cutts already in place, but I figured I'd keep the parts kit anyway, because of the spares.

The lower is in pretty good condition, the stock and forestock are both so so. The barrel and Cutts look good also. The bolt and associated parts look unused. The serial number on the lower is A060743. If anyone can supply info from this serial #, I'd lke to hear about it.

I also bought 3 of the "Used" 30 rd. stick mags. From the looks of them I'd say "Used" is very kind. I'll be surprised if any of them run well, but who knows, I won't have my gun for several months. I'm probably going to register this FA to a Family Trust.

I also ordered one of the "L" drums for the $359 or whatever it was from Sportsman's Guide, I'm showing it on backorder and due to ship on 2/28.

QUOTE (draver @ Feb 14 2006, 08:46 AM)
The serial number on the lower is A060743. If anyone can supply info from this serial #, I'd lke to hear about it.

Draver,

The Auto-Ordnance plant only made the 1928A1 model during 1941 and 1942. During 1942 all production was then switched to the M1 series of guns. You can get an idea approximately when your gun was made by studying the production figures listed in Frank Iannamico's excellent book "American Thunder." It is impossible to pinpoint an actual date of manufacture. A.O. made guns have been noted up to approximately the 150,000 serial number range, so a gun in the 60,000 range was most likely made in 1941 or early 1942.