My Savage Has Finally Arrived

Hey guys-- I sit here with a broken leg, the result of a recent accident, but I have something to make me feel really cheery and warm inside! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif I finally picked up my Savage 1928-a1 and it is even prettier than I remembered. It's definitely the most satisfying earthly possession which I have ever owned.

However, I have found a few things that need work. I noticed the buffer is deteriorated and the Lyman sight is loose. (So, does PK sell those buffers? Also, can most competent gunsmiths tighted the riveted sight?) There appears to be a little discoloration in the barrel; hope that is normal. The stock slide is also slightly loose. Everything else appears just fine.

Some of you guys were correct, when you insisted that it should have military markings. I orginally couldn't find any, but upon closer scrutiny, I think I found the "Flaming Bomb" ever so lightly stamped above the GEG. I'll send closeups later.

Oh, one more question, is there a technique for getting the bolt spring back in? It has a tendency to kink and takes a lot of patience.

I'll post pictures as soon as I get my camera going, hopefully, by this weekend.

YIPPEE!!! Gunny would say "OO-RAH!!! Glad your 28-A1 is nestled by your side. I can't help you with the tech stuff, but if I were in your shoes, I'd be admiring (besides the gun itself) that GEG mark. I've often thought of all the day-to-day stuff Mr. Goll experienced with that invention.

Or, you can just prop it up and say, "Yep, she's mine". Get healed up and go out to shoot that piece.

Congratulations. Your long wait is finally over and now you can have some fun. Replacing the spring - Take the spring and place it onto the pilot rod. Place the flat part of the rod down or away from you. Compress the spring onto the rod as much as you can and then stick a paper-clip thru the hole in the pilot rod. (There is a tool for this but a staightened out paper clip works fine). With the paper-clip in place, put the front of the spring into the opening in the bolt (which is already inside the gun and slid forward) and then put the pilot rod into the receiver hole and withdraw the paper clip. Done!

Sgt.,

Congrats on your new aquisition and sorry to hear about the broken leg. I'm sure the Savage will help you in the healing process but might slow you up on the range.

To put the recoil spring back in, compress the spring as far as possible onto the buffer pilot and slip a small nail or paperclip into the small hole near the end of the pilot. Place the remaining spring end into the bolt and slowly remove the paperclip/nail. The spring should expand without kinking. I would replace the spring if it is in fact kinked; they are inexpensive and plentiful. There are several companies to choose from in the FAQ's for parts. If you plan to have any work done on the gun itself I would highly recommend, as would many others, PK for any Thompson gunsmithing. He provided me with a replacement buffer that combined witha new spring made my 28 run like a champ !

As for the barrel it should be bright and shiney. Just might need a good cleaning.

Enjoy your Savage 1928 A1 !!!

Chuck

Sgt,

Congratulations on your new baby and I can't wait to see the pictures. About the buffer AZDoug of SRT arms sells some replacement urethane 28 buffers, his web site is www.srtarms.com. I use these buffers in both my Colt Navy 28 and Bridgeport 28AC and they work great. One question, does your buffer pilot (recoil spring guide rod) have a hole drilled through the buffer pilot? If so compress the recoil spring and then insert a paper clip or some other object in to the hole on the buffer pilot. This will retain the spring and assembly will go much easier. About the loose rear sight you may want to touch bases with PK.

Hope this helps

Roger

The buttstock has always been loose on my TSMG also, but I always shoot it from the hip without the buttstock anyway, so I've never done anything about trying to figure out how to tighten it.

Congratulations, everyone should have a Tommy to keep them warm!

Hawksnest nailed the spring installation. May I add that if you turn the pilot around and stick the fat part into the back of the receiver pointing to the rear (exactly opposite from the working direction), it makes it easy to hold onto while compressing the spring for the paper clip retainer. Also, be careful when pulling the paperclip out so the spring doesn’t jump forward, they can get all balled up and kinked, rendering them useless. It doesn’t take much kink to cause drag within the actuator.

Yes, I have buffers. Nice modern ones of polyurethane. E mail me.

The rear sight is easy to tighten properly if you have the anvils and punches and a press to do it. It can be done by hand, but it can be messed up that way too, depending on who’s involved.

The looseness in the stock slide is not abnormal. It should be minimal however.

Sorry about the leg, hope it heals up in time for spring cleaning with the Thompson.

Congrats Sgt!! Use your new Tommy in good health (including getting that leg of yours healed).

I offer one little trick for spring installation that addresses the kinking problem PK mentioned. Once the buffer and spring are in place but before removing the paper clip, pull the actuator back so that it touches the paper clip. Then remove the paper clip. This will help avoid kinking from the sudden release of the spring. Then just ease the actuator forward again. This usually isn't necessary, but may help avoid a problem.

Roger

Congratulations! And ditto what TSMG28 said about pulling the actuator back before paper clip removal. Makes things MUCH easier.

It could be that your spring is just too kinked to slink. Does it lay reasonably flat? Or does it look as convoluted as an exit strategy out of Iraq? May be time for a change.

Sgt...Congrats!!!

Hope you heel up quick...the 28a1 should help.I know how you feel...I`m waiting for my WH28 from PKs and I`ll be sending him my S1928 for the long awaited rewatting process...that`s what this NFA stuff is all about...waiting,waiting,waiting,...Good Luck with the new Baby!!! keep it well fed!!and KEEPEM`SMOKIN`,out. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif Happy for you sgt; Now you gotta bring it to KCR in April & engage the course in the Jungle Walk.................it's a jungle in there......jw

opps ! The Jungle Walk is wheel chair friendly http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif ; I'll push, and you shoot from the chair http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Guys--

thanks for the helpful replies. Those were great technical tips. I remember the time when some of your guys talked me into getting one. I didn't believe I could ever afford such a thing, but it is well worth every penny. I actually owe only 3K on it now, and probably wouldn't have had the discipline to just save for it. Glad I took out the loan. I keep you posted on the pictures.

Congratulations, Sgt. Ralph! I know how thrilled you must be; it's been nearly 4 years since I got my Savage 28A1 and I'm still tickled about it. More fun is yet to come. So, how many times have you taken it apart and put it back together in the last 24 hours?