Dewat From Moscow?

Hello All!

I noticed a DEWAT thompson for sale on ebay from moscow:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...07&category=585

I was hoping that some of the more knowlegeable members would be able to share some info on this. Can this be legally imported and possesed with the proper dewat registration. Would this meet us standards as a DEWAT? Seems suspect!

Thanks for the help!

Damon

The problem with it really is that the seller would have no trouble shipping it, however, when it reaches US customs, it would be the buyer who would be in trouble for trying to smuggle an unregistered machine gun into the country, even if he didn't know that ATF does not recognize foreign deactivation certificates unless the receiver is cut in three pieces or the right sideplate is removed and destroyed (remember ignorance is no excuse). Someone should really report it to ebay to prevent what could be a huge problem for some unsuspecting US buyer.

Tman, thanks for doing that. I saw the gun and should have done what you are doing. A while ago, there were a couple of PPSh-41's from "Ukraine" on there. I don't know if they ever sold.

Yeah, pity the poor buyer! I'd be curious as to "deactivation standards" in the former USSR. I'm proud to be a part of a group of folks in these forums that want to keep it clean, clean, clean, i.e. Within The Law!

Thanks again,

Ron

I e-mailed the seller, Oleg, yesterday and got a nice reply. He has other TSMGs for sale at $530. He says the item would go through the customs clearance and forwarding firm that he uses in the US, and that the gun comes with either a Russian or Ukranian DEWAT certification. This is, of course, no good here. This is a pity as the gun on Ebay appears to be a new condition M1 TSMG. I'm more interested in the Harley WLAs that he has for sale either as projects or completed restorations. If I can figure out an acceptable escrow arrangement, I might just purchase one.

What a bunch of nice guys! Most likely just saved some unsuspecting fellow from a possible world of hurt! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

Ebay is availiable to sellers and buyers world-wide. What's not legal here may be perfectly legal and importable elsewhere. I hope that no one on this board, particularly someone residing in the US, took it upon themselves to torpedo this seller. The proper response was not to bid on his item if it was known beforehand that the item is not importable. This is the same kind of thing that happens when someone offers a C or L drum on Ebay. It may not be legal in New Jersey or California, but it is perfectly legal in Texas and elsewhere. JMHO.

TSMGguy,

I see that this item is listed in the us market. While other countries can take part in this market i belive that they have to follow the rules of that market. I do not think Ebay, in the us market anyway, would allow a "gun" to be listed unless it was classified as a "non gun" by the atfe. Ebay in the US market does not allow guns to be listed. This is an illegal gun in the us...so it would not be allowed on ebay's us market anyhow.

Ebay's firearms ban states " Any item that is designed to propel a metal (or similar) projectile is covered by this ban, regardless of that item's present ability to fire."

also

"Generally, ordnance (military weaponry, ammunition, and related parts) is not permitted, even if the user states that the item is "unserviceable" or has been "demilitarized" or "demilled," as eBay cannot confirm that the item has effectively and permanently altered for lawful and safe transport and sale. However, unserviceable military type weapons may be listed if the listing contains a clear scan of official documentation from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) stating that the item is unserviceable or demilitarized. "

I see they can list fighter jets for private sale on ebay's german market. A move that would not be allowed here for sure. Just my 02.

Damon

And you forgot to damn any politician who whould prohibit the remportation of a beautiful object like that

BB

Bisley45, you've got that right. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif If only all the 2nd. Ammendment rights groups in America spoke with one voice, voted with one aim, and acted together to rid our nation (through voting, speaking and political action $) of the cowards who would disarm us. The politicians forget that they serve the people and at our pleaure (we vote).