Dillinger Days

I was reading the Globe Gazette (Mason City Paper) today and saw that they are marking the 70th aniversary of Dillinger robbing the bank. Here are a few quotes from the paper.

"Historical exhibits, retail promotions, food and entertainment will mark the day 70 years ago when John Dillinger and his gang robbed the First National Bank in Mason City"

"Several businesses will participate in the Dillinger Days event held from March 8-13."

"Its an interesting part of Mason City's history... the point is not to glorify crime."

Thought I'd pass this along. Mason City is approximately 2 hours from DesMoines or Minneapolis (any about 20 minutes from my house) if anybody want to drive over.

Dan

and to think i sold the mason city thompson#8476........now i bet they wish they had it back for the festivities........well the guy still owns it in nebraska,maybe he will give them a loaner.....................fat chance........... i wish i could be there.ron

Interesting note....I have a $5.00 silver certificate that was given to my father in the early 30's by John Dillinger at his uncles gas station in Plymouth Indiana.

My Dad said that JD was very vocal about who he was, and when he (my Dad) looked into the back seat of the sedan he said there were tommyguns and shotguns on the seat.

Dillinger paid for his gas and tipped my Dad with the silver certificate. Even at 12 years old my father was savvy enough to realize that the $5.00 note might be worth more than it's face value some day. I suppose the only way to authenticate it would be to compare serial numbers to numbers of bills "liberated" by Dillinger. However, I am certain that it's origin is as my Dad said....the old mans not so thrifty as to let $5.00 set through the depression unspent.

C6

I hope they pull this off and it stays as an event for sometime. I lived most of my life (until last June) in Lee's Summit, Mo. That town used to have a festival in the summer call Cole Younger Days (Cole rode with Jesse James). I think Cole Younger lived in Lee's Summit at one time. Well about 3 or 4 years ago, they haD to change the name of the festival to something politcally correct. I can't remember the new name since its so mundane. The whacked out liberals are everywhere!!!! If you stand up to these clowns, they think you are some kind of a outlaw lover, etc. I quit going to their "politically correct"social function. So I guess I got the last laugh as I no longer spend my money in that town.

If and when the assault weapons ban sunsets, I'm buying 3 or 4 L drums (I guess from Moonie Inc.) and a couple of "assault" rifles just for the hell of it. (Has anybody heard about Kahr making the C drums once the AW ban sunsets? -- I might need a couple of them just to hang on the wall for decorations!) I guess we should all think about investing in companies manufacturing firearms, as there should be a spike in activity once the AW ban sunsets. CALL TOM DELAY IN THE HOUSE!!!! HE IS THE GUY THAT CAN MAKE THE AW BAN SUNSET!!!!

Mario Scarpino

I asked about the C drums at the shot show - Moon didn't seem to care or have interest. (Or even know what I was talking about) He, however they will sell the L drums at the current Law Enforcement price.

The Navy/Overstamp/1921/1928 that Dillinger carved his name into the buttstock (very nicely, I might add) is in that museum in Racine, WI these days; they moved it from the police station and now you gotta pay $5.00 to see it! I had that serial number written down somewhere, maybe I'll call the museum. Seems like was maybe #83xx or somewhere around there. I took a pic of it, but sent it to Tracie Hill and didn't get it back.

The deal in Mason City sounds neat. They used to celebrate Dick Tracy Days in Woodstock, IL (where Chester Gould lived and wrote the comic strip). They'd do a fake shootout by the bank, and a local actor would unload the 50-round drum on the bad guys. Warren Beatty did it one year. Then the many Illinois anti-gunners put a stop to that. They still do the celebration, but now it's a drum and bugle corps competition at the high school instead of the shootout. Whoo Hoo !!!