Need Some Help

I just talked to my CIII dealer and reinspected the forms I rec'd on the transfer of my Sterling ( I know this isn't the Sterling forum but I figger I'll get a quicker and wider response from here). He's not sure of an answer so I'm asking in here....hellova lot of CII knowledge here.

The question is.. the paper work shows I'm getting a MG Receiver not a firearm......The pictures I was shown and what I was supposed to be buying is a complete DLO Sterling. Should I be worried about this?

FWIW, in the eyes of the law, a receiver is a firearm. Anyway, your Form 4 likely is reflecting, as Chris stated, the receiver (being the controlled part) instead of the full gun. I've seen quite a few Form 3 and Form 4 transfers that only listed "sear" or "trigger pack" or "conversion kit" for complete guns (as well as for just the parts listed.)

I'd be willing to bet your DLO Sterling is actually a Stenling...i.e., it started its life as a registered Sten/Sten tube and was converted using a Sterling parts kit. (There are very few "real" Sterling smgs out there, and up until a few years ago, parts kits weren't readily available to convert Stens to Sterlings. Since that time, quite a lot of Stens have been converted with the availability of parts kits.)

Still, it couldn't hurt to ask the seller if you're buying a complete gun, or just a receiver tube. Even if you are going to end up with a bare tube all is not lost. Sterling parts kits are fairly cheap (the last ones I saw were around $300, IIRC, (from FAC)) and still reasonably plentiful.

I’ve been involved in the transfer of several of the DLO tubes & guns- the papers I have seen have always shown the type as “MG Receiver” and the model as “Sterling Mk4”. I wouldn’t give it a second thought.

I spoke with Doug at DLO a while back and he told me these tubes were made with minimal dimensions to the cutouts and could be used as either Sten or Sterling; he registered some as each. A Mk4 properly built on a DLO tube is as true to a factory guns as can be had; it functions and dissembles just like the English progenitor, with true interchangeability.

Well the reason I posted here before calling the seller is that it was after hours there and his store was closed and I knew I could get some straight dope here before calling...I do intend to call. The papers do not list barrel length,(N/A), caliber, (N/A), or overall length,(N/A)...it does list the model as Sterling Mk4. My dealer had never seen this before on a transfer and wanted to know if this was a complete gun or just the tube. I am under the impression I bought a firearm, not just a tube, but I will check it out tomorrow. Thanks for the imformed responses guys. This place has been a wealth of info since I found it.....

Now to get that money order for that MP40.. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif