My Reising FOIA Paperwork

I don't believe the US Military would have had or required ATF paperwork dated 2/4/1944. I would think more likely went to an Law Enforcement agency or some other government subdivision that would require ATF Form 5 paperwork. Definitely appears a group of Reising's transferred all at one time 2/4/1944.

How long did you have to wait for a response to your FOIA request? I submitted one for my Reising over two months ago. I'm hoping the COVID issue won't delay it too much. Thanks.

Edited by Thompsonlover

Thompsonlover,

How long will you have to wait, very unpredictable.

2 years ago I sent 2 FOIA requests in 1 month apart.

#1 sent 8/19/18 received 10/2/18

#2 sent 7/19/18 received 11/26/19

All I can promise is you won't learn much, most everything will be redacted.

Jim C

Thanks Jim. I'm aware that most info will be redacted but you never know so its worth a shot. When I got info on my Thompson 4 years ago, it took about a month. I found out my gun was imported back into the country along with 4 other guns in 1966. I'm hoping I won't have to wait as long as you did on your second request. Has anyone submitted a request in the past few months?

Edited by Thompsonlover

Try sending the request via email, if one has not done so in the past. Weve got a response quickly, including the most recent pre COVID-19 submission. We used to mail it in to the Disclosure Department of the ATF in DC. We are sending in a couple of requests this week. Well see the turnaround during the current state of reduced government services is as efficient as the last email request.

If it was not noted, the first documented transfer was on a F5. Then a F5 outbound from the LE Agency or other government entity. In order to view the redacted information. One needs to get permission from the parties or a party involved in the transfer. Considered a tax payer issue? That is my understanding. It should be noted in the instructions.

Every once in a while, you get lucky and some of the information is not redacted. Weve had that happen a couple of times. I think that the importance of the request, is that the original form and date of entry into the NFRTR. Makes it essential to the status of the weapon. Pre 68, Amnesty, post 68 Amnesty to the 1986 FOPA manufactured and Pre May sales samples.

Anyway, I find it worth the effort...

There is a LOT redacted on that form.

Mine said Texas National Guard 1943.

Are you sure it was the Texas National Guard or was it the Texas Defense Guard/Texas State Guard. A friend just picked up 10 Reisings that began life with the Texas Defense Guard in Aransas County (BN28 CO E). They then went to the Corpus Christi PD. I ended up with one and did a bit of research. The Texas National Guard was federalized for WWII so Texas created the Texas Defense Guard which became the Texas State Guard sometime during the war. Of course they never left the state.

Dan

Are you sure it was the Texas National Guard or was it the Texas Defense Guard/Texas State Guard. A friend just picked up 10 Reisings that began life with the Texas Defense Guard in Aransas County (BN28 CO E). They then went to the Corpus Christi PD. I ended up with one and did a bit of research. The Texas National Guard was federalized for WWII so Texas created the Texas Defense Guard which became the Texas State Guard sometime during the war. Of course they never left the state.

Dan

Hi Dan, It may have said that, I sold the Reising recently and the FOIA paper work went with it.

Dan

Hi Dan, It may have said that, I sold the Reising recently and the FOIA paper work went with it.

If you want to put the buyer in touch with me, perhaps we could pool what we know.

Dan

If you want to put the buyer in touch with me, perhaps we could pool what we know.

The Reising went to a dealer who may have sold it, I'll check.